Note to self:

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black85vette

Reaction score
Note to self: Be sure to do a test tap when you get a new tap out of the package and don't make its first use on a part that you have spent a lot of time machining. :wall:

I got ready to tap a hole and looked at the tap. It was in pretty bad shape. So I checked the peg board and sure enough I had a new one hanging there still unopened. Put it in the hole, gave it a few turns and it went "SNAP!" and broke off in the hole. :Doh:

Oh yeah, the same goes for drills. A few times at work I've found new taps that weren't ground right, and drills as well, with a negative lip relief angle. ??? :mad:

I feel for you m8, It sucks when that happens....

was you able to get it out?

regards
Andy

good advice. ckeck your drills like was said , ihave used new name brand drills ,usually small ones that have no relief or neg. when using then in a cnc you will have trouble. also with the taps check close , i have a habit of keeping standard and metric mixed together and some look the same and are real close to being the same. just easier to double check even when you are in a hurry.

black85vette said:
gave it a few turns and it went "SNAP!" and broke off in the hole. :Doh:

Probably, most of us are already in that club :( ..........for me, M4 seems to be a particular hurdle I need to overcome ??? ........... mebee we should print up some tee shirts ::)

CC

Has anyone used a tap remover?
I keep seeing one in the Enco mags they send me, not sure if they work.
-B-

KK,
Been there done that :rant: :wall:
I can't find it on the site but maybe someone else can. Removing steel taps from non ferous metals, it's an acid method.
Tony

one more thing I need to add to the garage spice rack, along with the salt and wheat flour for case hardening.
-B-

Wish I'd known about that tap dissolving method. Busted a tap off in a small brass block (amongst a few other f-up's th_wtf1). Probably could have salvaged it. Oh well, lessons learned. Block was simple enough to just remake. Hey, need the practice anyway !! ;D

Mike

Latest posts

Back