No lathe, no mill, no idea!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effigy

Reaction score
Hi from Worcestershire, England.

As the title says, in preparation for throwing off the shackles of being a wage slave in a few years time, I want to realise my boyhood ambition and get into model engineering - specifically traction engines.

I have no experience at all, and at the moment have hardly any equipment either. I'm not even a practical person, being an accountant by trade. What I do have is enthusiasm and a dogged determination.

So I'm off to explore this site, and probably ask a load of the usual Newbie questions!

Cheers!

Welcome Frank, it wont take you long to be making swarf and having fun like the rest of us.

Jim

Frank....

I like your style. Just go, and do it. If you fail, so what! Have fun!! Try using standard Hardware store items, like brass tubing, or steel pipes for cylinders, and don't exclude PVC Plumber's Pipe either. I've seen PVC used for making Compressed-Air/Pneumatic engines, that require very few precision tools.

Good luck, from:

FRANK, another indentured servant..... from Bronx/NY, USSA

PS....Love the sauce your town makes.

Frank,
I busted out of the working scene 8 years ago with "0.000" machining experience. Bought a minimill and small lathe and never looked back. If you're motivated you're in for a great ride:D

Go for it lad

Cheers,
Phil

Frank. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Hi Frank,

I was the same as you, no real experience with engineering (although my Dad taught me a bit) what I found really handy is youtube, go check out tubalcain building a model steam engine.. where it's very advanced for us beginners, it did teach me a number of basics that are really handy.. there are heaps of handy tips there and also on this site.. have a good read before purchasing tools as well..

and welcome to a great site with friendly people :)
Scott.

Welcome to the wonderful roller-coaster that is model engineering...

Anyone with the patience necessary to spend their working life in an office environment should have little problem grasping the basics very quickly.... Enjoy :)

Frank, welcome. Sounds a bit like me. I bought a larthe to do a specific task and found without the pressure of time on my back, I enjoyed playing with it. So I bought a bigger lathe and a small mill now why I had the income to buy them so I had everything together for the big 'R' day.

Now, I have a list of projects as long as your arm to finish off my workshop so have not had a chance to do anything much except build an EZ Runner from plans on this forum. That taught me a lot (and was an excuse to buy $200 worth of tooling and $14 in materials before I started...) It is amazing what you can learn on Youtube.

I found the best instructional resource was MIT Tech TV http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1 and I picked up so much watching this series. While I was at it, I started a wish list of the tooling he uses and have slowly been accumulating what I saw on the videos.

wellcome!

lots of us started in the same situation like yours, this hobby only requieres time and a lot of patience (also money)...

But dont get discouraged by that, once you made the big inversion (a lathe with milling attachment or lathe and mill), from that point you can start making your own tooling, and the only expenses that you will have will be the stock and bits.

Saludos

Hello Frank,
Begin reading. Read, read, read, read, read, and then read some more. Chase down as many years of Model Engineer magazine as you can. Libraries have them. The years 1965 through 1990 are particularly good. Find or borrow a copy of W. J. Hughes "Building the Alchin Traction Engine." Also Sparey's "The Amateur's lathe" and other MAP books. Join a club or society. There is so much you can begin to do now to prepare to hit the ground running (or walking) when the time comes. There is also some luxury in being able to start your search for tools now (or as soon as you know what to look for) and being able to take your time looking for the right machines at the right price.

Welcome
This forum is source of knowlege .
One year ago i built my first engine and i spent hours
reading posts on this forum , local guys always help you.
Thank you guys.

Frank, if you want to make your retirement money go further, start getting together good quality secondhand tools and workshop equipment now. It takes a while to get it all together and get it set up. But you can buy older model machines and tools that have seen little use for much less than new prices. Model Engineer shows, club meetings, car boot sales, garage sales, whatever, it is amazing the stuff you can pick up cheap.

I agree with the other posts join a model engineering society , and get your tools before you retire , I did it the other way round and struggling to live on what I get in a week is les than earned in a day . last week I bought a South Bend lathe from the club for ten pounds needed work but at that price who could refuse , its a tradition in our club to donate your tools when they are to old to use them .

Latest posts

Back