Newbie - How to get started? Need Advice

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CNC-Joe

Reaction score
Hey Group,

I'm a complete newbie to the I.C. Model Engine building field. Been lurking, been thinking about it. I go to NAMES, drool over the IC and steam engine builds.. but never took the plunge.

I have some basic machining skills and tools (CNC knee mill, cnc desk mill, cnc desk lathe, 2 cnc south bends, etc. I have pretty good CAD skills - both 2-D and 3-D. and some machining software (V-Carve, cut3D, etc)

So, my question is - How to start in this hobby?

I need advice on how to:

-Put an ignition system together for one of these models.
-How to make crankshafts.
-How to grind cam shafts.
-How is everyone making piston rings?

What would be a good starter project ? Something that teaches the basics, but doesn't take a newbie 20 years to complete..

Thanks for any help and direction you can give.

Joe

Joe, welcome to the group and the hobby. Can't give any help with the CNC part put have some suggestion about starting.

Watch the posting like "Engines From Castings" and "A Work In Progress" they will show you what others have done and in some cases how they did it.

For you first build I would suggest you pick a IC that is built from bar stock. The advantage is that if a mistake is made you just cut off another piece and start again. After your skill level has gone up then you could try some of the casting kits that are out there if you wanted.

Good luck with your new hobby and your first build.

Ron

I would suggest that you start with an Elmer engine, a wobbler or other simple example. These will enable you to learn the basics, and get you well on your way to more complex engines. I also would start with manual machines, rather than CNC. Once you know how to turn and mill, you can jump up to CNC.

The wobblers will be fun to run and all of the skills will go with you.
Mosey

Thanks for the advice Mosey.
I'm pretty fair on mills and lathes.. and that's why I've gone over to CNC.. just like it better..and can do more on the CNC

Joe if you have a lathe and a mill and know how to use them then you are off to a great start. If you have and are comfortable with cnc so much the better.

there are two or three guys starting a Webster IC build follow along with them if you like.
get a hold of a set of Dick Upshur's plans if you like another easy ic build.

http://upshurengineworks.com/

or go to Jan Ridders web site look at the 16 different engines he has pick a plan and ask him for it he will e-mail it to you at no cost .
Jan ridderes gas engine plans

You really only need to make an ignition system and a simple crank shaft.

make a couple single cylinder or twins then worry about the complex stuff when you build the v-8.

Tin

Thanks for the links, Tin!

I hope a bunch of other people will chip in and help direct me to info to get started.

Thanks again,

Joe

I hope a bunch of other people will chip in and help direct me to info to get started.

Well Joe you posted this request for information a mere One hour and 30 minutes ago. This is a helpful and friendly group but it take time for folks to get to know you. Take a breath and give folks a chance. I expect others will chime in.
Also keep in mind what you are asking is considered advanced by some standards. not exactly the typical newbie questions.
Tin

its all good Joe I am enjoying the enthusiasm.
Tin

Thanks, Tin!
- I can see that there is a storehouse of knowledge here.
- I am not sure if this is your website or not - but seeing as you are an administrator - I would imagine that it is.

So - to you - I must give a great thanks for providing a forum like this!

Thank You!

Joe

Hi Joe, don't forget that members are spread all around the world, a lot more replies will most likely be given when people wake up and come on line. Mid morning here in Australia, most members in the US are probably still in bed.

Paul.

Thanks for the links, Tin!

Hello Joe!

There are many directions that this hobby can take you. For us to "direct" you, maybe you could give us some information as to what direction you would like to go. Tell us what type of IC engines you would like to work up to. Some of those might include Hit-Miss farm engines, single or multi cylinder, automotive, aircraft, antique. If you know where you want to get to I have no doubt the membership here can get you there.

Are you Joe Comunale? If so it's me Steve Huck. We can talk at the metal club Wednesday night. If not, disreguard everything after "get you there"

Joe: I joined this site when it was first started in 2007 .I almost immedially became a moderator and then a month or two later an admin. I do not own it or pay the bills, I am a caretaker.
Folks come here for many reasons. Most with the intention to learn. but there are times when people come and want a quick answer or solution to there problem. we have had folks sign up post Question and never be heard from again. I hope they at least signed on as a guest to read the great responses.
Occasionally we get College engineering students wanting help in form of free plans for a project and engineers from third world counties wanting solutions to there problems and help with projects.

We have close to 15,000 members here and we are lucky if 10% contribute on a regular basis. such is life.
many folks come for what they can get . and much fewer for what they can give.

Contribute show respect and ask questions . in general let folks get to know you and you will have a great time here. I am sure many would love to learn what you know about CNC .
Welcome Joe

Tin

Newbie - How to get started? Need Advice

I'd go easy on the coffee. :D

So, my question is - How to start in this hobby?

Joe

My 'twopence' for what it is worth, chose an engine that you like the looks of that can be made on the machinery that you have and that fits the skills level that you possess. By that, I mean that you should probably not embark upon building a triple expansion, condensing, reversing, marine steam engine with all its ancillary pumps and valves to start with. I too, am starting my first engine build and have chosen to make a fairly simple, single cylinder, horizontal steam engine of my own conventional design. (Because I like the looks of it!) There are many free plans on the net for IC, steam, hot-air and turbine engines and some of them are pretty simple to build. You just have to find the one that you look at and think to yourself, "Hey, that would look really nice, just ticking over on my workbench on a warm Saturday afternoon, ....and I reckon I could make that." Once you are into your first build, you can still come here and seek technical advice if you hit a stumbling block. Cheers, Norman.

norm is correct find a plan set you ar comfortable with and build it . or even two or three and combine concepts. for instance you may like an overall plan but not like the way the con rod is made so you make a con rod you like.

in the about HMEM sub fora I posted a sticky entitled getting started in model engineering and another one on selecting a first engine. I suggest these as a read for all beginners.
Tin

Joe if you have a lathe and a mill and know how to use them then you are off to a great start. If you have and are comfortable with cnc so much the better.

there are two or three guys starting a Webster IC build follow along with them if you like.
get a hold of a set of Dick Upshur's plans if you like another easy ic build.

http://upshurengineworks.com/

or go to Jan Ridders web site look at the 16 different engines he has pick a plan and ask him for it he will e-mail it to you at no cost .
Jan ridderes gas engine plans

You really only need to make an ignition system and a simple crank shaft.

make a couple single cylinder or twins then worry about the complex stuff when you build the v-8.

Tin

Ignition systems?

There are heaps available at very reasonable prices. Model aircraft petrol engines have miniature ignition systems. Eg. :

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10996__Replacement_CDI_Ignition_for_RCG_50CC_Engines.html

I'm going to use one of the above (modified to use points ) in my hit and miss engine. These work on 4.8 V and can be built into the base so that the ignition system - AA batteries and all - can be "invisible".

Jerry.

Edit: This one is very nice:

http://www.apacheaviation.co.uk/Ignition_Systems/ignition_systems.html

For ignition I use GM 12-V points and coil with 8.4 volt(7-cell) r/c rechargable(Tower Hobbies). Went to O'reilly's and asked for the cheapest set of GM points and cheapest coil for those points. Turns out they are for a 1968 327ci Chebby. Actually had to dump the CM-6 NGK go with the full size motorcycle plugs(with same M10x1 thread) because the spark would occasionally jump the 3/8" distance from the terminal to the wrench flats and cause stalling.
Viton rubber O-ring for piston ring(1 buck each). The miniature rings I bought(5 bucks per) are still in the box and thats where they will remain. I don't like making cranks, so did the simple flywheel/crankpin route similar to the HD 5-piece and held together with 1/4-28 and 10-32 cap screws.
Did the cam on vertical cnc mill with a 3/8 OD x 3/16 ID roller brg. as the follower.
cold-rolled valves, brass head means brass valve seats!!
oil-lite (BUNTING oil-impregnated bronze bushings are cheap and last 4-ever).
Coleman fuel with 60:1 tcw3 2-cycle oil smells better than pump gas. In a pinch, i'll use the non-ethanol pump gas because i think the ethanol effects the brass pick-up tube. Coleman is always the best though. Thats all I got for now. good luck. later, RT.
Below is a link to the engine running i just described.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj2gFEl0j7k[/ame]

Latest posts

Back