Newbie blues

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

baldrocker

Hi all.
Simple question, when do I (as a newbie) get to start making things that go "chuff chuff" or "whir whir" instead of things for the lathe? I'm sure that some time in the future I will find a use for at least half of the things I am making (or attempting), only half because thats all thats functional. A strange phenonemon (sic) is happening, I find myself getting TREMENDOUS enjoyment just sitting and looking at my lathe, almost as enjoyable as reading these forums (forii?) which now I think of it might the answer to my first question. Is this normal or should I start worrying.
Good night all.
Paul aka Baldrocker

Don't worry, in a few months you will be as mad and twisted as the rest of us.

Then it is too late to do anything about it.

Bogs

Thoughts of another Newbie to your question

The answer is when ever you want to as there aren't any rules! I also thought as you do some twelve months ago. I started with a kit of castings and made a vertical steam engine. It worked very well but if I was to make it now I would do a better job, (not much maybe but better).

I make fixtures as and when I find I need them. This often feels like a restriction to the main task, however I enjoy making these things, such as a ball turning tool, sometimes as much as the item itself. I also think that practice makes better. That's why I designed and built my brass and aluminum chess set. I thought that I would have to learn how to make a taper, how to turn balls, how to profile the knight and so on. Only by overcoming these obstacles did I build up my confidence to tackle bigger or moving things! The Mills diesel I am building is something I would not have considered pre chess set. (You can see the chess set on my website http://www.mikes-models.com/ccchessindex.html if you want to).

So I would say that its up to you when an what you build. If it goes wrong all you loose is time as the part wrongly made is only a re-sized piece of new metal, albeit via the scrap box. I am always picking up 'mistakes' and turning/milling them into something useful for the current task.

The key lesson I am still trying to learn is that if it was made wrong, then just start again! Fear of failure can lead to never starting.......Just go for it! There are lots of kits about and via magazines and plans on this forum, make a little wobbler to run on air. I know when I saw my Stuart Turner V10 work the first time it was very rewarding!

I cheat. I buy broken toy steam engines or ones missing some parts cheap and make the missing parts.
That way I get something that goes chuff chuff much quicker and for less work. :big:

Also doing this was a good confidence booster for me as I got results and didn't have to make some of the harder parts.

Baldy
I too remember having the same lamentations you've just mentioned. I've built neat tool after neat tool, modified my machines to death and read page after page of helpful information on web sites and boards like this one. All of it is useful information but it's just that... information... until you use it.

When things began to come together for me was just as Mickey noted. I finally got the idea firmly between my ears that a failure was only a source of new knowledge and that failed parts are fodder for another part, for another project. That freedom finally put me on the path to making actual "things" instead of just making curly stuff to sweep up.

I wish I could recall who on this board has the tag line "One Perfect Part at a Time". That simple mantra has done as much as anything else to let me move forward. I now work on the part I'm making, with only that part in my minds eye. It's stopped me from trying to fit the whole project in my head while I needed to be paying full attention to the job at hand. That means the difficult cut you are making is the total focus at that moment.

I can take the whole project in mind while taking a short break or while determining what the part I'm about to make will require. Once the metal and machine are properly introduced, I'm fully focused on the task at hand, right up until it's finished to my satisfaction.

Best Advice I have....
Steve

Paul, no worries, you're fine mate.
I carry pics of my machines on my phone :D

Mind you, the video of the CNC router usually captures their interest for a while ;)

If you try to make (or buy) all the tools and fixtures "you'll need" before you start working, you'll never start working.

Moreover, if you do start working, it's a good bet that you'll find that many of the tools you made/bought aren't quite right for the type of work you do and/or the way you do that work.

You're far better advised to start making a project, preferably from a print where you can't easily change dimensions arbitrarily to fit what you have available, and then keep careful notes of what tools could have helped you to do that project more quickly or accurately.

After three or four such projects, take a break, go back to your notebook and make one or two of the tools in your notebook - choose tools you know you will use on your next project so you will have an immediate opportunity to test these tools and uncover your design "oversights". Note these oversights in your notebook so you can avoid them in the next tool you build or in the rebuild of the tools you've already made.

Continue this iteration until the end of time. :)

Inevitably, there will be occasions where one needs to make a tool or fixture in mid-project to finish the project. Nothing wrong with that. However, I find that that interspersing tool making with project making is healthy and productive. Project making provides motivation and demonstrates how the tools REALLY need to work. Tool making provides a welcome break from the concentration of project making.

These are, of course, my suggestions based on my mentality and personal psychological quirks. You need to consider them and modify them according to your own mental habits.

What many newcomers to this hobby fail to notice is that, to do good work, one has to observe how one's own mind works and integrate this into one's work habits and schedule.
I've made suggestions along this line before - for instance, I have a standing rule to never try to remake a botched part immediately after making the botch. That works for me and many of my friends who have tried it but it's not a hard and fast dictum. Watch what you're doing closely and watch yourself as well. Note what works for you and design your approach around that.

baldrocker said:
Is this normal or should I start worrying.

First of all, "normal" here does not come anywhere near the socially accepted definition of the term so remove it from your vocabulary now! Sanity has no place here, as you'll quickly discover, which makes it kind of homey. Think about this: The people here routinely spend $5 for material and take up the equivalent of $100 in time (or more) using several thousand dollars worth of machinery to build the exact same part they could have bought for $2. ;D

I've read over the replies and they all seem to say the same thing - in your own time as you feel comfortable taking each step. Absolutely no one here was born with the expertise they have now; we all had to take those first steps. One nice thing about being here is that everyone knows that and is willing to help others do the same thing. Somewhere along the line, you'll discover you know something based on your background that someone else doesn't and you'll be able to contribute to the discussions as well.

Marv's comment about making tools as you need them hit close to home here, by the way. I caught myself early on but if I had gone the course I was on, there would have been a lot of totally useless tools laying about. Since I'm already here, I didn't need any competition from metal, plastics or other materials. On the other hand, there are a few I want to make just to play with them (The Clisby mentioned elsewhere gave me some ideas which is a truly dangerous thing. :D) and I know I can count on the people here to offer suggestions how to accomplish the desired end goals. Well, except the one about taking over the world, one Twinkie at a time. ;D

I've been on a few forums, groups etc where it was assumed that you came out the hatch with no less than 30 years experience with every tool known to mankind and a few that haven't even been invented yet. It's not like that here. It's more like a very friendly roadside coffee shop (as opposed to Starbucks) where we can relax and be jes' folks. So kick back, grab a cuppa and join in the fun.

Best regards,

Kludge

Speaking as a relative "new guy" (I'm on my third steam engine build) here is my view. Last March I bought a 10" x 18" Craftex lathe. I knew right away that I would need a 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, a set of cutting tools, and a chuck that fit in the tailstock. And other than purchasing a few reamers as I needed them, I haven't found it necessary to buy much elsw. the lathe came with a steady rest, which I have yet to use, and a faceplate, which I actually have used a couple of times. ---and Oh, Yeah--I bought a couple of lathe dogs to use with the faceplate. Two months later, I bought a craftex milling/drilling machine. With it, I purchased a selection of 4 flute end mills, and it came with a chuck that mounts in the spindle. I purchased a milling vice (which was the subject of a lengthy thread on here) and a rotary table and tailstock. I have only used the rotary table once, and have not yet used the tailstock which can be used with it. I only build fixtures as I require them, and really, I haven't found so far that I require very many.---Brian

Thanks guys.
Once more the Sages of Experience, Wisdom, and Rationality to the rescue.
The replies to my post perfectly illustrate what makes this site so different.
In one word "EMPATHY".
Reassured he returns to gaze raptly at his lathe (so much prettier than his navel).
Paul.

Paul there is a thing about machinists that is seldom discussed.

After making a perfect part they have been accused of sitting for hours
"fondling" it....

To the untrained eye it may very well appear to be exactly that.

In reality we are checking it over very carefully for burrs and blemishes.

The fact that my own wife will say:
"OK quit fondling that thing and go make the next part."
still doesn't prove that accusation to me!
12.gif

Rick

hehehe... glad to know that I'm not the only one who "fondles a part" when it comes out just right. :)

There's something to be said about the hour or so of satisfaction you get from holding the part that took you many more hours to get right.

-Sparky

baldrocker said:
Once more the Sages of Experience, Wisdom, and Rationality to the rescue.

Experience: Without a doubt.

Wisdom: Pretty much.

Rationality: Here? When did that happen? :eek:

The replies to my post perfectly illustrate what makes this site so different.
In one word "EMPATHY".

Yep, this is one definitely empathetic group. ;D

Reassured he returns to gaze raptly at his lathe (so much prettier than his navel).

Only one? :D

Best regards,

Kludge

sparky961 said:
hehehe... glad to know that I'm not the only one who "fondles a part" when it comes out just right. :)

There's something to be said about the hour or so of satisfaction you get from holding the part that took you many more hours to get right.

-Sparky

Glad I'm not the only one.
I regularly bring in my latest made part to show my wife fully knowing she has no interest in it at all as it lets me sit it beside me on the arm rest while we watch a show. :big:

Kludge...
Uh... not being personal or anything... but since you brought it up, just how many navels do you have?

Steve

Join a Team Build a pick a simpler part. Fastest way to chuff chuff you'll ever find and lots of fun too!

BW

Cedge said:
Uh... not being personal or anything... but since you brought it up, just how many navels do you have?

There's a very sad and somewhat embarrassing tale regarding that very subject, Steve. Someday, when I'm comfortable with being more open about it beyond various medical professionals as absolutely required, I may be able to discuss it in open forum but for now I am quite unable to do so.

I'll discuss the nightmares et al (though not the actual subject matter) that are the reason for the demon-chasing ideas, I'll discuss the fun I have with an inner ear problem that makes the local horizon tilt at awkard moments if I'm not paying attention (hence no 2-wheel riding anymore), I'll discuss TGA (Transient Global Amnesia) episodes, or any of a number of other things. But not that. I"m sorry.

Best regards,

Kludge

Latest posts

Back