Newbie and the Flywheel(s)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bearcar1 said:
I appreciate your new avatar as well, can you make it spin the opposite direction? :big:

BC1

Done, now if I can get the actually version to look like the picture.

Tapped the holes, lot easier than I thought. Funny how a straight hole and tap guide ease the process. The AL cage is set into a dead center in the spindle, spring inside keeps the tap assembly in contact as the tap is drawn in. makes me want to get a knurling tool now :). Not exactly quick, but sure better than a broken tap making scrap out of hours worth of work.

tap holder-a1.jpg

And an idea of the end product, time for the studs and nuts, getting close to the dreaded "Does it Wobble Stage" One bridge at a time

flywheel-a14.jpg

And YUP at times it is 1 step forward, 2 steps back

I am so liking the looks of that FW Fooz'. I'm sure that if it does have a tad bit of wobble it can be easily rectified.

Cheers

BC1

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
Theodore Roosevelt​

Done with it for now. The little AA109 comes through again (the new Taig soft jaw chuck helped a lot) Will probably polish up the rim after I figure what it is I'm going to fab around it. Still on a finger engine theme, "polish isn't really in my genes, I don't even wash the car but once a year.

flywheel-a15.jpg

Time to clean the shop, blew a crank bearing on my old putt putt so have another bit of wrenching to do.

So far the crank and flywheel are solely the results of reading and gathering info the post from those of you so kind as to share your wisdom.

That taper lock hub really has a grip to it, without the release screws play heck getting it apart.

Bob

Fooz,

Two really excellent parts, soon you'll have an engine. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Fooz,

Two really excellent parts, soon you'll have an engine. :bow: :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thanks from this newbie, do wish that I left the center drill spots on the crank though,all future times they stay. Flywheel has no wobble on a straight piece of stock, but the 0.002 or so run out on the crank I thought was OK shows itself a bit now. Just another bridge that I'll cross down the road. Live and learn :)

And we see that you have added a crank web(s) to your avatar as well ;) Nicely done FW Fooz', the 'satin' finish on the sides of the rim are interesting as well, gives the piece a bit of a jewelry look. I can't wait to see the remainder of what you have in mind.

BC1

You have a good eye for form, Foozer. And, very nice execution!

You manage to squeeze a lot of performance out of that little Craftsman lathe!

Chuck

cfellows said:
You have a good eye for form, Foozer. And, very nice execution!

You manage to squeeze a lot of performance out of that little Craftsman lathe!

Chuck

Thank you for the kind words. The 'Form' for this flywheel was just salvage a piece of brass that I SO butchered up in my first attempt. I still need to figure a method to cut out the web better with what I have at hand.

But then "I have a lathe" I can make it :)

Bob

bearcar1 said:
And we see that you have added a crank web(s) to your avatar as well ;) Nicely done FW Fooz', the 'satin' finish on the sides of the rim are interesting as well, gives the piece a bit of a jewelry look. I can't wait to see the remainder of what you have in mind.

BC1

Sandblaster leftovers just in case I needed to skim the sides. Once I isolate the "wobble" (sure its in the crank) I'll, I believe the term is "Bling" the part up.

Now to make its twin, should only take twice as long with half the effort :)

Latest posts

Back