Newbie and the Crank Support

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"So if I got the measurements right the two arcs should be uniform, Time will tell"

Found the error, one index was 0.020 lower than the other. Should of caught it when the already one side cut piece didn't fit exactly into its home :) Will have to make a new index piece but to test it out I just shimmed it up and cut another. Only takes 20 minutes to do both cuts.

At least I think its right, clamped two 1-2-3 blocks to make a 90, set the piece against it and feeler gauged the gap on the skinny side. Flip piece 180 and feelers give same results. I know feelers are only so good for accuracy but gotta do with what I got.

fesupport-a15.jpg

I see a height gauge in my future . . .

Robert

Foozer said:
Along with the open jars she presents me with these type of things, (bad photo) and the sad eyed story "I dont know why my car won't go, I put it in gear and gave it gas. . . but it quit moving, can you fix it PLEEEEEASE"

clutch.jpg

Thats twice this year shes popped clutches, I sent her out to get some genuine imitation chrome plated plastic muffler bearings so I could fix it and by golly she went to 3 different stores looking for em. Such a sweetheart.
Fooser I had a customer in San Diego who would go through a disk in a few months i finally installed a Kevlar disk and solved the problem. I spoke with him 9 years latter he sold the truck with that clutch set up still working fine.
Dave

d-m said:
Fooser I had a customer in San Diego who would go through a disk in a few months i finally installed a Kevlar disk and solved the problem. I spoke with him 9 years latter he sold the truck with that clutch set up still working fine.
Dave

Some just shouldn't drive, she be one of them. Same car she drove off a five foot embankment, couldn't find reverse and hit the gas instead of the brake. Car landed on all fours, had to cut a tree down to get the car out of its new parking spot :)

She must be real riot in the local market parking lots Rof}

BC1
Jim

bearcar1 said:
She must be real riot in the local market parking lots Rof}

BC1
Jim

She's the one going up and down each row pushing the shopping cart with that flippy wheel looking for her car." Honey, how can you not see a Bright Yellow Car!, its the only one in the lot, you think maybe someone repainted it while you were shopping?"

Then only to go back to the store as she yet again left her purse in the cart, store people know her well :)

Lord, I hope she's not behind me :)

Looks like you're getting close to starting the rods/cranks.

I was looking at the pic of your trial assembly. What is it sitting on? Is it going to be mounted from the bottom?

Foozer said:
Lord, I hope she's not behind me :)

If you believe in 'divine compensation'...methinks you're walking a fine line. And for someone who had trouble with 'etch-a-sketch'...I must question if you know what a fine line is. Rof}

zeeprogrammer said:
Looks like you're getting close to starting the rods/cranks.

I was looking at the pic of your trial assembly. What is it sitting on? Is it going to be mounted from the bottom?

If you believe in 'divine compensation'...methinks you're walking a fine line. And for someone who had trouble with 'etch-a-sketch'...I must question if you know what a fine line is. Rof}

Made a crank a bit ago. One piece job with 3/4 inch throw (stroke) That was a fun exercise. If I ever get past this fooling around with the little supports I'll actually narrow down what it is I'm making.

Crankshaft was challenging, Flywheels started out as one idea that morphed into another (still haven't found the second one, think the kid borrowed it). Con Rod? Ah another opportunity to stretch my meager abilities.

Sitting on a slab of AL, yup it'll mount from the bottom. Gets a little tight for the bolt holes so they don't break out into the radius, absolute time for a measure TWICE, maybe THREE, and cut once operation.

Fine Line? When you use Crayola you get lots of room to wiggle in :)

Your doing good on your project tho, it should be a runner in no time

Ah...my mistake. I still don't know the terminology to use it right. I used rod/crank thinking the same thing.

I meant the control rod.
[EDIT: Dad blast it. 'Connecting Rod' sheesh Zee.]

I remember your work on the crankshaft. Good stuff there.

I think I'll trade my 'etch-a-sketch' for some crayons. Do you work with the box of 64 or is 8 sufficient? ;D I bet you're going to tell me that one crayon should be sufficient for the most challenging of work. :big:

zeeprogrammer said:
Ah...my mistake. I still don't know the terminology to use it right. I used rod/crank thinking the same thing.

I meant the control rod.
Connecting Rod that piece that flys out the side of the engine block when, Oh ya that was in my earlier days till I got tired of towing the car home, again :)

I think I'll trade my 'etch-a-sketch' for some crayons. Do you work with the box of 64 or is 8 sufficient? ;D I bet you're going to tell me that one crayon should be sufficient for the most challenging of work. :big:

Your buck is in the mail :)

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
Theodore Roosevelt

Dug out the Flux Capacitor and . . .

Hour setup for a 5minute 16 second machine time hole drill. With a chuck in a chuck and my fancy home spun woohoo cross slide attachment I managed to drill/ream a 1/4 inch hole in the little support piece. Drilled a 0.125 pilot, then a 0.234, then ran the 0.249 reamer thru. Hole is 0.250 plus change that rounded down to the zero.

fesupport-a16.jpg

Dont know exactely what I'm making but am having fun doing it.

Off to Pops, he's 84 and this being fathers day a nice cheese cake ought to work his sweet tooth :)

No soda can pieces, I'll just have to suffer with 2 pieces of cake instead of 3

Theodore Roosevelt

After some Cheese cake and surfing on the sugar rush, I cut the hole at the base. Nothing fancy but for me the pieces are getting smaller. Fun part is going to be drilling and tapping the mount holes in what little room there is on the legs.

fesupport-a17.jpg

Yup the smaller hole is a few thou off center, One more cut to do, this will be the one that has a good chance of scrapping the piece

Foozer said:
After some Cheese cake and surfing on the sugar rush, I cut the hole at the base.
Yup the smaller hole is a few thou off center,..

I'm learning. I'm learning.
Don't drink and drive.
Don't drink and machine.
Don't have cheese cake and machine. ::)

I was surprised at how small the support is. Now I'm even more interested in how you're going to mount it.

I'm also wondering about the background of the pic. Does that belong to 'bride'? Are you just asking for trouble? Am I going too far? ???

zeeprogrammer said:
I'm learning. I'm learning.
Don't drink and drive.
Don't drink and machine.
Don't have cheese cake and machine. ::)

I was surprised at how small the support is. Now I'm even more interested in how you're going to mount it.

I'm also wondering about the background of the pic. Does that belong to 'bride'? Are you just asking for trouble? Am I going too far? ???

Cure for Cheese cake overload is more Cheese Cake, OOOH the perty colors :)

I'm starting to wonder about the mount myself, really gonna have to pay attention to the layout.

Trouble, that's just normal in my life, got to stir the pot or all the meat sinks to the bottom, life on veggies? Blah. Not much that people can say that I haven't thought of, said, or done, its all taken in the light it was meant.

Theodore Roosevelt

4th crack at it. After failing to hit the mark using the scribe line method, method is fine, eyes just don't work so well these days, used the edge finder in the lathe to accomplish by math what vision failed to do.

Top three, outside curves are off center to each other. Top right, center hole is off to one side by 0.015. I can should do better.

Got the hole on the mark, curves are right, base width is right, now to drill the other(s) and perhaps move on to the next piece which I haven't drawn yet.

fesupport-a18.jpg

And ZEE if your watching, my "Hall of Shame" pieces for the same part is growing faster than yours.

Foozer said:
And ZEE if your watching, my "Hall of Shame" pieces for the same part is growing faster than yours.

I'm happy to lose that race. But I'm sure it's only because I'm much slower (uh - at making anything in general).

Are you going to do something with the bottom of the support like the other two?

zeeprogrammer said:
I'm happy to lose that race. But I'm sure it's only because I'm much slower (uh - at making anything in general).

Are you going to do something with the bottom of the support like the other two?

The tortoise won the race. . . I'm just naturally hyper, once the sequence is reasoned out things work, getting there, well all I can do at this age is chuckle at myself ;)

Yup, that's today's task. That hole is actually easier for some odd reason.

Theodore Roosevelt

You know how it goes, get things set up ready to go and "Tink" the sound of something hitting something else. Silly holder for the DI snapped, Harbor Fright steel :) Thats OK "I have a lathe"

Turned up a new one and wouldn't ya know it, the thread is metric. Off to the store for a 6mm die

fesupport-a19.jpg

Theodore Roosevelt

Another one for the scrap pile. Measure twice and cut once. Learn to add also helps. Forgot to account for the diameter of the edge finder. Set it up and found the edge of the vise jaw. Parts stacked so the top one gives the drill something to bite into without tearing up the edges on the keeper.

fesupport-a19a.jpg

Zeroed the DI lowered the piece the amount called for, drill doing its job like a champ, nice even curls

fesupport-a19b.jpg

Forget about the dimensions of the edge finder and things go south in a hurry

fesupport-a20.jpg

Tomorrows another day, opportunity for yet more adventure. Heck with being without a paddle, I'm starting to wonder what happen to the raft :)

This is where you jinxed yourself...

Foozer said:
Yup, that's today's task. That hole is actually easier for some odd reason.

Sorry about the part.

Theodore Roosevelt

At some point, Ok after 5 tries at the same part you take the best of the lot and say "Hey That doesn't look so bad" Not perfect but will be fine. A little built in 'Character Flaws' just add charm :) That or spend $$$ for more tooling that's not going to really improve the operator error.

fesupport-a22.jpg

Bottom center is a keeper, rest shall RIP upon the "Shelf of Shame"

Enough Crank Supports for now, on to the next piece of the puzzle

Latest posts

Back