Newbie and the Crank Support

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foozer

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
So with a few parts (crank and flywheel) fairly complete its what are they for?

Leaning towards a Finger Engine, no plan, just winging it. Need some column type supports for the crank to ride in, a whole new adventure in itself. Decide that a bit of curvature to the otherwise straight side approach might look appealing, but how the heck..

I got a lathe. . . faceplate time. drew out the part and found the arc centerline, had to make some adjustments in the design to keep the part within the limits of the lathe. Ended on a 1 1/2 inch radius for max that would fit both the lathe and eye appeal. As the arc center line is offset from the parts center line, had to measure from the face plate center line to locate part. Once done a little block was attached to act as an index. Made a boring bar from an old 3/8" drill bit, clamped the material down in place and let er rip, slowly, painfully slow, the thought of a hunk of metal flying across the barn from the imbalance tempered the "Get er Done" motto.

I notice most clean up the process prior to snapping a photo, does help to illustrate but the actually view is surely messy.

fesupport-a1a.jpg

Me thinks a mill could knock this type of part out with a lot less fanfare, we will see how the AA109 does on this task asked.

I think that plate has seen its better days. Time for another

Foozer said:
the thought of a hunk of metal flying across the barn from the imbalance tempered the "Get er Done" motto.

Fooz,

Would it have been possible to fit a counterweight to your faceplate setup and reduce the strain on your nether regions ???

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Fooz,

Would it have been possible to fit a counterweight to your faceplate setup and reduce the strain on your nether regions ???

Best Regards
Bob

Did that for the other side turning, what I don't want to imply is that a counter balanced face plate is blindly safer to which the speed can be cranked up to what the material likes. The counter balance reduces the effects of the rotating mass but it still is a hunk of stock held in place with devices that could fail.

Self imposed safety factor, keep speed below point of vibration, may take longer, but I still have all my fingers and toes :)

So after a bit more time listening to the Thump Thump and keeping the "nether regions" comfortable I finished up the rough turning of the support sides. Actually surprised at how the boring bar/old drill bit did. The cut surface is as smooth as, well. . . Few drops of tap magic on the final pass made a marked improvement, but that stuff does have a funny taste to it, almost sweet. Might just have to give up the Sterno Squeez'ns, ;)

fesupport-a3.jpg

Wasn't sure if that shape could be cut, but there it is. Now to layout the holes, chop the top down to size, face up the, hmm, lots of steps for 2 support pieces, beats mowing the yard.

After seeing the post on the scale Ford engine, this is pre-school, mommy mommy look what I made!

So being happy with the outside cuts it was time to start the removing material from the inside. Wanted one hole 0.750 in dia with a center 0.210 up from the base. No real reason for the size other than eye appeal and the initial hole (0.375 inch) for the boring bar to work in would not break out during the drilling. Had just enough room to squeak a bar in slowly bringing the hole up to a 0.750 dia. Creap'd up on the last few numbers a couple thousands at a time to get away from bar flex. Total depth is 1 1/2 inch and the final measurement came out to be 0.750 on the one side and 0.7505 on the other. Hole is centered tween the legs within a thou. It was like an hour tapping that piece around to get it lined up, takes what it takes to achieve the desired result. Thats just caliper readings but good enough for me.

fesupport-a4.jpg

Now for another hour or so the line up for the next boring operation :)

Foozer,

Very nifty. :bow: :bow: You are definitely master of the faceplate. ;D

Best Regards
Bob

I can't decide if it reminds me of Three Mile Island or The Arc DeTriumph. Rof} Rof}
Seriously, that is looking quite nice and I can visualize the look you are going for Fooz', Very well done.

BC1

Maryak, Bearcar1, Arnoldb Thanks for the kind words, now if I can only solve the intense concentration, almost got it on the money, just about to lock it down, when the "Bride" appears with the inevitable "Can you open this jar for me?" condition. :)

"Can you open this jar for me?". :)

Try this,

Chuck the lid up in your 4 jaw or 6 jaw scroll chuck (preferred holding device) and make sure that you have less than 0.0000005" run out on the base of the glass jar :wall:.

This is the tricky bit.

Set your 1/2 carrot single point grinding wheel dressing bar up in your wiz bang quick change tool post's boring bar holder.
Now proceed to part off the bottom of the glass jar with out getting glass chips in the jars contents.

There is a twofold reason why you went to all this trouble.

1) If you don't have the tools listed above, you will be REQUIRED to get them before you can complete the job. woohoo1

2) With the time it took to setup and the mess it made, you will NEVER be asked to do it again.
Rof}

Cheers
Phil

Rule #1 of life.
It's easier to gain forgiveness than permission. :hDe:

Majorstrain said:
Try this,

Chuck the lid up in your 4 jaw or 6 jaw scroll chuck (preferred holding device) and make sure that you have less than 0.0000005" run out on the base of the glass jar :wall:.

This is the tricky bit.

Set your 1/2 carrot single point grinding wheel dressing bar up in your wiz bang quick change tool post's boring bar holder.
Now proceed to part off the bottom of the glass jar with out getting glass chips in the jars contents.

There is a twofold reason why you went to all this trouble.

1) If you don't have the tools listed above, you will be REQUIRED to get them before you can complete the job. th_wav

2) With the time it took to setup and the mess it made, you will NEVER be asked to do it again.
Rof}

Along with the open jars she presents me with these type of things, (bad photo) and the sad eyed story "I dont know why my car won't go, I put it in gear and gave it gas. . . but it quit moving, can you fix it PLEEEEEASE"

clutch.jpg

Thats twice this year shes popped clutches, I sent her out to get some genuine imitation chrome plated plastic muffler bearings so I could fix it and by golly she went to 3 different stores looking for em. Such a sweetheart.

HI Foozer,

That looks a bit terminal, but like machining I'm no mechanic either.

Love the face plate work, and your other posts. Keep em coming, I'm learning heaps.

Phil

Foozer,

Try teaching her left foot braking, that way it will be too busy to sit on the clutch pedal. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
Foozer,

Try teaching her left foot braking, that way it will be too busy to sit on the clutch pedal. ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Ever seen rotors that have separated from the hub? It wont be long and I'm sure she will provide me with another example. Things were so much quieter when I was single, not quite as entertaining tho :)

I am sure you already know this:

"Failure to replace the flux capacitor will lead to premature clutch failure."

Clutch Manufactures Association
Technical Bulletin 1234

90LX_Notch said:
I am sure you already know this:

"Failure to replace the flux capacitor will lead to premature clutch failure."

Clutch Manufactures Association
Technical Bulletin 1234

You guys are too quick for me, I get worn out with the constant "You know dear, the car would of gotten you back from the store if you put gas in it! See that little arrow there, when its on E it doesn't mean you can go EVERYWHERE.

Now I'm starting to remember why I took up this hobby :)

Have you thought of hiring a Chauffeur! ;D

An automatic might save on the clutch repacements too.

Jadecy said:
Have you thought of hiring a Chauffeur! ;D

An automatic might save on the clutch repacements too.

One would think so, Honey sweetie the "P" there on the shifter doesn't mean that you can park the car while its still moving, that funny noise you described was the transmission trying to tell you that, as you didn't understand what it was saying it gave up and went Nigh Nigh, never to wake again.

I better quit this, she might catch me and that little 95# female will want to talk about "Feelings" again, with me fresh out of ear plugs. :(

I.m just winging it and still the hours do run up on a simple part. Mostly my own doing, I know a better faceplate is in order, couple nice rounds with spaced holes to accommodate the variety of hold down requirements. Have I done it yet, naw. This sacrificial plate is all but toast, so soon :)

One thing I must remind myself, there is a lot of rotating pieces on that plate that must always be aware of. Too easy for myself, generally unaccustomed to this type of machinery, to forget. With a 2hp motor running it, a finger stands no chance at all. I like my fingers, there are good for many uses. . .

fesupport-a6.jpg

Used a front wheel bearing outer race as a standoff tween the plate and part. Thus allowing for the boring bar to exit the part without grabbing the plate. I know this first hand as not a good thing :)

Seems about 12 hours or so in this pair of pieces so far, I be a tad slow on the ins and outs. bad thing is the bride says I'm too fast, Cant please everyone.

Oh shinny things...

Bob

Got to get a mill, got to get a mill, got to . . .

Put'ng down the road the other day, nice and sunny, thinking all I have to do is hit the cruise control and run on down to Los Angalees following the sunshine all the way. Car thought about it for 10 seconds and POOF! trans blows out. Guess the car has issues with Southern Calif.

Tinkering with my crank supports, looks little top heavy in real life. Got the top half drilled and fastened with 4-40's. This is where a mill would do. Cutting the pockets on the drill press, ah passable, but, well passable. Even with everything as shrunk up as possible, getting the 1/4 inch end mill to cut where i wanted it
. . . passable. Turned some bronze for the crank bearing, leaving the holes undersized till I settle on a base. Once they are positioned to the base the plan is to then bore the bearing full size 0.375.

Doing the balance act of big ideas against machine limitation is actually more fun than the end product :)

fesupport-a7.jpg

Latest posts

Back