New use for an old vibrator

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

va4ngo

Reaction score
I like unusual tools. Some sit there never being looked at after buying and just collect dust. (They may come in handy one day)

Those who have been watching my build description under "Works on Progress" for "An Unusual Steam Engine" will recall that I have completed the Valve block housing which required more than two hours work. I had pinned the inlet bush and Valve cover with 1.6mm Diameter pins ready for tapping. As usual after completing a satisfactory part of the build I will retire and have a glass of wine.
The next step in the build will be to remove the neat fitting pins and tap the holes out to 2mm x 0.4

On picking up the valve block I discovered there were only 3 of the 4 pins in place and when lifting the cover discovered that there was a broken tap in one of the holes.
This is never a good feeling especially as I dont remember tapping any holes. Perhaps I had a wine before finishing the last step. Hurriedly looked at build description and there was no mention of this

Dam'n!!....... Was about to get on and ask Questions "How to remove a 2mm...... etc)

Then looked closer and discovered that it was in fact one of my 1.6mm pins stuck in hole. It appears that I had cut one of the pins shorter than the depth of hole and it was sitting in there minding its own business, just below surface and acting very much like a broken tap.
Tried tapping it out for several minutes, Wouldn't budge

Then I thought of the Wen Vibrating engraving pen (made in Chicago USA)

Solution
Set pen to maximum vibration and place in hole with pin facing downwards ( pen has a convenient plastic case around hole area) turn machine on and it popped out in seconds.

Caution for next time Measure before cutting

Who says vibrators have a limited use!

Cheers
Phil

Ok
Time to stop reading this post

I really have broken a 2mm tap on the third hole and now I am a little red faced ( We have a program here called "Red Faces") ever heard of it?

For next episode go to Questions and answers!!

Phil

Ya had me going on the title of the post
sorry for the trashy mind
definitely a good idea
-B-

An engraving pen applied to a stuck/rusted/etc. nut will often disturb it enough to get it moving again.

Thanks Marv for sharing
I've tried it on my broken M2 Tap which is currently embedded in brass and it hasn't done any good.

I,m trying Alum tomorrow

Phil

Hmmmm.....did you just tickle them or give e'm what fore.

;D :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: :big: ;D

Latest posts

Back