New Toys

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
Treated myself to some new tools the other day ;D and thought some of you may like a look:

IMGP1238.jpg

The surface plate is a "B" grade grey Granite £36 at Axminster, I figured it was about time I bought one given the price. I had to make the box though.

As an ex Mechanic I have plenty of 19mm spanners but this Proxon one caught my eye not least because it's nearly £20, quite pricey but it is a rachet spanner and figured it would be good for locking the tail stock on my Lathe. Never got round to modifying my tail stock lock mechanism and I probably never will now as this spanner works really good on the job!

The small blue object is a 5.6mm (7/32") clutch pencil by Koh-I-Noor, very nicely made in anodised aluminium. Using large 5.6 leads means it can be used for other stuff - scriber maybe? or add a rubber tipped "lead" for use as a tablet stylus. Either way it's a nice pencil.

Vic.

A surface plate is a must....There is so much that you can do with one...glad you got it Vic.

Dave

Nice digs I have a 12 x 18 plate from grizzly no box but try too keep it covered with a piece of Masonite.

Have several 2mm lead holders they do make nice scribes as well. Also silver lead is great for steel layout like welding and smiting. I have gotten my silver pencil and leads Hobart brand from tractor supply.Silver lead is also the only approved marker for aircraft layout work.

And the ratcheting box wrenches are handy I have a small set of SAE and metric. they are expensive but i find really good sales. like black Friday at sears.
Tin

Ratchet wrenches are most definitely awesome, up until you back a fastener up in a tight spot and realize the wrench isn't reversible :big: Ask me how I know lol

Then its beat wrench with hammer to remove ;D

Surface plate is definitely cool as well, I would love to have one.

Regards,
Eric

The enco free shipping deals that pop up will net you a B plate for next to nothing. The shipping is what kills. Got my 12 x 18 for $36 and free shipping.

I've started collecting 10mm combination wrenches (I don't really know why other than I seem to use them a lot). I should make a photo album of them. Current front runners in quality are Proto, Blackhawk, Klein, and Craftsman. The Kobalt (Lowes brand) and Husky (Home Depot brand) are not great but they are serviceable and live in my junkyard pulling tool bag. I do have a martin 6mm wrench and it looks very nice.

Proto is Stanly's pro tool, Blackhawk is Stanley's pro tool made in Taiwan.

Hope I didn't already post this?
Some years ago I walked into my MSC local store and there was an 12 x 18 black granite surface plate on the closeout table. It had a chip in 1 edge, about 1/2" by 1/8", and was $15.00. That puppy went home in the car with me! Never saw a box for them before, so now I have another little project.

I've also just got a second hand 9" Bottle Square from a good mate at work. ;D

Vic.

Latest posts

Back