Yet another new member

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superfast

Reaction score
Well, I have been a member for a little while, kind of hiding in the background, I figured it was time to make my first post on the forum.

I have always been interested in anything mechanical since I was a kid. My first introduction to machining was when I was about 14, my Dad bought me a Taig lathe with milling attachment. At the time I was into RC Cars and used it to make quite a few parts for my cars at the time. When I got out of high school I went into the military and the small machining hobby was kind of left behind.

Over the past 12 or so years I have been doing welding and fabrication as kind of a side hobby. I figured if someone else can make it, then why can't I ! Some of my projects included a Garden Tractor Loader and Backhoe attachment. The backhoe project is what led me back into machining, I needed to make some custom bushings and pins. I picked up a 7x12 lathe and made the parts I needed, it worked out great. Since I now had a small lathe I looked into other projects I could do with it when the weather was bad and I was stuck inside. My first little engine was based on the Little Machine Shop wobbler, it came out pretty good and runs great.

Since building the wobbler, I have built a bunch of tooling for the lathe (boring bar holder, cam lock tail stock, cut-off tool holder .......) I also picked up an X2 Mini Mill and have built a bunch of tooling for it. The shop is setup pretty decent now and I have completed a few small engines. I built 2 of Elmer's Scotty engines, one for me and one for my Dad, both of them came out great and run nice and smooth. I can post pics/video of them if anyone wants to see them.

I currently caught the "Chuck's Horizontial Engine" bug and have completed what I am calling Phase 1 of the engine. It is smaller than Chucks original design, .600 bore, .500 stroke, uses 2" flywheels and is a 2 cycle version, as I didn't have any small gears to make it 4 cycle. It does use his poppet valve design, just a smaller version. The valve body was my first introduction to using 0-80 screws! I also uses a slightly different cam setup, which will hopefully help me when I take the engine to the next step. The engine is currently running and has the cool exhaust "pop" sound. I am amazed at how slow I can get it to run. I have pictures and a small video of this engine running also.

Now I am working on phase 2 of the horizontial engine project, I am trying to go the same route Chuck wants to go, and make the engine run like a hit or miss engine. I did some sketches on paper and am currently building new parts. Looks like it is going to need new flywheels, crank and of course a flyweight style governor. Hopefully it will work, but if not I can always take it back to the original version.

That's about it in a nutshell (kind of a large nutshell, sorry for such a long post!)

Scott

Scott,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hey Scott,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to hear about your version of my engine. It's always rewarding when someone else finds your work interesting enough to create their own version.

The big difference (and problem so far) between a hit n miss IC enginer and a compressed air engine is the valve operation. The governor on an IC engine must hold the exhaust valve open between hits while a compressed air engine must leave the (inlet) valve closed betwee "hits". So far, this has not been a trivial matter to resolve. I've come up with several designs but none are very elegant or satisfies me. Maybe you'll get further than I have.

Chuck

Welcome Scott. Videos always welcome here ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Scott, welcome to HMEM. Glad to have you among us!!

Welcome to the fourm, they're a great bunch here and suspect this forum must now be one of the major centres of model engineering information/help on the internet.

Thanks for all the Welcomes!

I dove right in and posted the current engine project I am working on, along with some videos.

Metal Mickey said:
Welcome to the fourm, they're a great bunch here and suspect this forum must now be one of the major centres of model engineering information/help on the internet.

I can't agree with you more, this is the best place I have found on the internet, a great amount of knowledge and friendly bunch to boot!

Scott

Hi,
Jack here. Found this site and joined yesterday. I have never built a model engine but hope to before too long. I got interested in this hobby by some friends I met thru a machinist friend of mine. I am presently working on a full sized engine (455 pontiac) for my 34 ford 3 window. My shop equipment includes a 14X40 0554 Grizzly lathe, Comet 3KV Mill, 7X12 Rockwell horizontal band saw, 15" Duall vert. band saw, 1"X42" sander, 6"X48" sander, Tig, Mig, O/A welders and 20 ton hydraulic press. I am a master of none of these machines but continue to learn how to use them and enjoy every minute I am in the shop. I know I will learn much from the masters on this board.

Hello Jack,

Welcome to HMEM. Sounds like you are pretty well equipped, although can one ever have enough tools?

Chuck

Hi Jack,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Hey Jack!

Welcome to the club! Nice set of tools you got there.

Eric

G'day Jack!

welcome!!!

enjoy your time here eh

cheers

jack ( the down under one)

Back