New member from Italy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzetati

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am Marcello, from Torino.

I've got an Asian 7x sized lathe of Optimum brand and a BF20 mill that I use in the (rare) spare moments I have to fix what was broken in the house,garden or car, tool-up the machines themselves, make/fix toys for the children and making steam model engines. (Managed to have my fourth up and running, at the moment)

While having no interest at all into computer controlling my machines, I made myself accepting the idea of fitting a DRO to the mill: the point being I could easily ruin parts by taking the cutter diameter into no account with no lower rate than setting the dials and counting the wrong number of turns. I was right: the feed rate of poorly mangled metals towards the scraps box from the manual lathe and the digitally visualized mill remained almost identical. - The mill wins by large when it comes to counting broken cutters, but the DRO has not much to do with that -

Marcello

Marcello,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Glad to see your post, hope you will see fit to post some pictures. larry

Wellcome Marcello. I have the same items like you, Optimum lathe and BF20 Quantum mill.

ToniTD1490

Hello Marcello
I have the same Mill and I'm tronsforming It as a CNC...If you like don't hesitate to contact me...
wEc1
Welcome to our forum.

Best Regards
Paolo

Another Welcome to you Marcello. Glad to have you here. ironman

Hi Pat,

vernier calipers are not that much handy when used as scales on the mill table: $6 digital calipers would be a better option, :)
They were my 'first step' into fitting a DRO to my X2: soon after completing the mounting I bought myself a Shumatech DRO-350 to make them usable (i had mounted the Y 'scale' below the table to protect it from the chips: not impossible to read, neither handy tho).
As for the readouts for the chines calipers, there's a few projects available on the net to make them at lo cost by Yourself.

Marcello

Pat J said:
I will probably make a couple of DRO's for the lathe and mill from $25.00 vernier calipers.
I have seen others use these, and the large scale DRO's seem a bit pricy for what you get.

Pat J

Img_0534small.jpg

ironman,

bet that engine shown below Your name is a River Queen.
That was my third try into steam engine building, and the first failure: after reaming the holes for the crankshatf, I dismounted the front bearing and the valve housing from the base "just to see whether I could put them into alignment again".
I couldn't. :-(

I still have all the parts, found them in a box right yesterday, while putting things in order into the shop: will give it another try, soon.

ironman said:
Another Welcome to you Marcello. Glad to have you here. ironman

Welcome Marcello, I live in Turin too, but even if'm reading this marvellous forum since about 2 years... I still haven't found the time to set up my shop as I would.
Right now I'm planning to buy a Ceriani or Wabeco lathe and mill. Btw I didn't completely lost my time and I buyed some plans to get started as far as I can.
Did You built any workin' engine so far?
All the best and happy new year, to You and to the whole forum as well.

Debian

Hi Debian,

I've brought to completion a David II wobbler of Alan Marconett's design (plans taken from issue #1 of Model Engine Builder magazine), J.P.Duval's MV-DEO10x20(*) and two of Elmer's(**). No boiler yet, so none of them was properly tested with steam (though I had one of them - cannot recall which - running when connected to the domestic steam cleaner:). Compressed air tests gave good (enuff) results.

Marcello

(*) Here: < http://jpduval.free.fr/ >. Click the link "Téléchargement des plans" on the left of the page.
(**) plans available throught the Elmers_Engines groups, on Yahoo!

Debian said:
Did You built any workin' engine so far?

Debian

Hi all,

here's some pictures of my engines.
Marcello

DavidII - 04-IMG_0346.jpg

EV#3 - Open Column With Reverse - IMG_0687.jpg

MVDEO10x20 - IMG_0040.JPG

EV#17 - Pumping Engine - IMG_1506.JPG

Latest posts

Back