new member from germany

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chbeyer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am from germany as you might have guessed by the subject ;)

I know you like pictures so I attach some, I have family and go to work on a daily base which as you might have experienced for yourself eats up a lot of time, so my progress in modelling is veeery slow. In addition my workshop is cold in the winter, that might change pretty soon though as I will move house in the beginning of 2011.

I have a myford super 7 with extra long bed, made 1962 in britain, with proud I guess ;) The machine is a bit rocked but I changed some parts and it is a pleasure to work with it !

My mill is an optimum bf 16 a popular brand in germany coming form china or anywhere in asia, it works fine though it is complete rubbish compared to the myford.

My current project is a 2 cylinder marine engine attached on a tank chassis from tamiya. I would like it to be seen as something like a chain tractor (like the hornsbee chain tractor for ex). The few people who saw it called it a steam tank though :( I will try to make it as less as a tank as possible for pacifistic reasons.

Other steam related actions for me are frequently visits to steam fairs in UK, two websites and a (closed) steamforum in german...

Looking forward to hear something from you ...

cheers
christoph

drehe.jpg

2_zyl.jpg

stellprobe_1.jpg

Welcome

Nice looking twin.....I like the subject too!.... ;D

Dave

Hi Christoph and welcome.

I should not worry about what people think of your steam tractor, it is what you think that counts! ;)

It is strange to think that the first tanks were based upon the Holt tractor and built by Ruston's at Lincoln...who made agricultural machinery.

Think of the farmer's battle against Mother Nature in order to provide us with food; your model becomes very apt! :big:

Christoph,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Hallo Christoph, and welcome,
I have the same machinery as you, Super 7 (short bed, and older and tattier than your) and Quantum BF-16 :)
Would you be a member of Dampfforum (H.Temme)?
Nice "steam tank" (Dampfpanzer?)!

Hi Olli,

thanks for the welcome greating :)

Yes you got me I'm a member of the temme forum.

funny that you have the same combination of machines, I never needed the long bed of my myford but it came with it so I did not cut it shorter, who knows if it might be usful someday ;)

It has a few drawbacks also as it is a machine with nearly 50 years of working life, but it works perfect for me and I probably would rather get the bed regrinded than by a new lathe.

Did you find a rotary table for the mill slim enough to work with when you use the myford chucks ? My chucks are all mounted on a backplate which makes them even more 'Z-axe-space-consuming' :(

cheers
christoph

Pat J said:
Christoph-

Welcome to the forum. There is quite a bit of steam engine activity here, and that is my special interest that runs in the family, as you can see from my website.

I tried a shop with a small window air conditioner, and it did not work well. I finally added central air to my garage about a year ago. Keeps the humidity down.

I have heard about the legendary Myford lathes, but have not seen one in person.

I like your twin engine. I would like to build one to put in a tug.

Good luck on your builds.

Pat J

Hi Pat,

had a look on your website you have an amazing collection of unusual, interesting machines !!! Wish I would have more time to get some projects done or finish my steam tractor faster.

For the lathe, I think myford were the first to produce such a small machine right after the 2ndWwar with some astonishing features for the time, so they got a good reputation. But I don't think they are much different or better than other brands of the time like boxford and so on.

The twin engine is adapted from the plans for a tug boat engine indeed, please send me a PN if you are interested in the plans ...

cheers
christoph

Back