New guy from Iowa

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplehorn1977

Reaction score
Well so glad i found this site. lots of great information and help.
I just bought my first table top lathe a 7x10 central machine. hopping to get the 14 inch bed extension and a good 4 inch independent check. so far i have reworked the gibs and slides to remove most of the play. and i have around .0001 runout with a .250 drill rod used with dial indicator in the chuck. right know i have turned a couple of knobs for diffrent drawers out of Alum. I got some 304 stainless round stock but am having a problem with chatter. I am a totally new to this as i havent had any experiance with lathes. kinda of learning by trial and error. any help or pointers would be much appreciated. looking at some of the stuff that ive seen on here as well as other sites has made me want to learn how to run the lathe and get a mill to make scale models. as well as do some of my own gunsmithing.

Hi Purplehorn, how far from Des Moines are you located?
A friend in models Jim Hhay

Welcome to the forum. Lots of folks have that particular lathe and there are lots of threads here pertaining to it.

If you pull your carriage off and look at the apron gears, you'll see why one of the first things you should do is put a plexi glass cover over the gears.

HI jump in and have fun regards bob in the UK

ph1977,

Welcome to our forum. wEc1

Best Regards
Bob

Welcome to the board .
lots to learn
Speeds and feeds are probably one of the most basic items to know. find and print out a chart.
keep the stick out of material and tooling to a minimum .
learn to grind HSS bits but not necessarily first thing.
read this thread lots of resourceful available
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?board=18.0
Tin

Hey Purplehorn,

Welcome to the forum. I was born and raised in the southwest corner of Iowa, in Fremont County. All my family still lives there.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back