Need some help sourcing silver solder.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are occasions where o/a is the better choice, you can localise the heat much better, for one. That said, however, you do need to know what you are doing with it. Here in Oz, the TAFE course in o/a runs for 2 years and is well worth doing.

Same thing in the UK Tel, I enjoyed the coarse a lot.

John

O/A welding was one of the required skills to pass the exams for becoming an aircraft mechanic. Nothing else was taught at the time so we got to concentrate on burning metal until we got it right. While most of our careers would be welding 4130 if we got to work with tube airframes, there were myriad other reasons to use a torch and the instructors ensured we knew them like we were born with a torch in our hands, though not to the extent of the TAFE course. The FAA examiners' (yep, several all at once, which I thought highly unfair!) whole purpose in life was to fail someone for even the slightest bobble and instructors don't want their students to fail hence the care in the instruction. I had fun with the practical and oral exams (administered simultaneously) but I'm known for my strangeness.

Bogs, you're right; Butane & Propane are all that's needed, though I really do like alcohol lamps as well. (Okay, it's a quirk but it's a cute one, doncha think? ;)) By the way, I've seen things like your large head torch used to burn off weeds in the past. Sort of dangerous but people do strange things,I guess.

Shred, I do need to hit a few yard/garage/block/estate sales for toys anyway. Thanks for the reminder.

Best regards,

Kludge

Hi Fellows,
bad news on the 14 oz. propane bottles. It seems they are on the way out.
In is now a 16.92 oz short and stubby like the camping thing. Blue in color with a green plunger
to insert when discarding the canister.
Went to HD today to get the 14 oz to do some plumbing. Was told the old on is out and the new one is it now.
Hilmar

Hi Guys,
As a shiny newbie (to the forum anyway) I have spent a thoroughly entertaining Wet Sunday morning reading the posts and at last find I have possibly something to offer on the subject of silver soldering.
Firstly Marv's. beautiful jig is something I have been promising to make myself for about two years now (procrastination is a wonderful word) so his pictures have now pushed it to the top of the list again.
Secondly I would add the following rider:-
Rather than applying the silver solder to to a cold joint or using "paillons" placed on the joint using tweezers before heating, the jewelers method of using a Tungsten "pick" makes for a precision alternative option. The solder snippet may be picked up by heating the "pick" to red heat and positioned precisely where needed making for a real neat job.

Purpose made "picks" may be obtained from most jewelery outlets here in the UK Two Suppliers come to mind :-

Walsh at [url]www.hswalsh.com
and Sutton tools ] www.hswalsh.com
and Sutton tools www.suttontools.co.uk

both established suppliers to the jewelry trade and both will readily supply catalogues
I hope my h'a poth doesn't cut across too many opinions as has already been said "you pays your money and takes your "pick" (no pun intended - honest)

regards Minerva
AKA Terry T

Tel,
What is the TAFE course? Is that a welding class?
Thanks,
Fred

Mcgyver said:
holding everything in place for SS is very important. Detesting those useless, awful little third hand things with the alligator clips i made this gangly system of arms and whatnot to hold stuff in position for SS'ing. I still want to adopt Marv's design into some accessories for it

Hmmm ... this looks like something that could be made from bits and pieces of dial indicator support thingies (I love technical terms! ;)) or chem lab ring stands gone wild. Or both in combination - the former adapted to the latter's column and base since ring stand bases are usually pretty hefty. Or were. I guess they still are.

Pretty cool, anyway.

BEst regards,

Kludge

pelallito said:
Tel,
What is the TAFE course? Is that a welding class?
Thanks,
Fred

Yes Fred, one of many offered by the college of Technical And Further Education

Tel,
Thanks for the reply!
That sounds like our tech schools. I took precision machine shop at night, when my teacher retired after I finished the course, I had to switch to welding but never finished. I did the O/A and had started on the electric welding when I stopped. I do weld but don't have the tickets.
Best Regards,
Fred

Latest posts

Back