need massive info dump on solder/brazing

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brazing is fun and not too difficult for basic steel to steel and aluminum to aluminum.
You just need a torch with good high heat, like oxygen and gas for steel and propane can be sufficient for aluminum.
Silver solder is easier than bronze rods for steel but bronze rods are cheaper.
The aluminum brazing rods are cheap and are very easy because they don't need as much heat.

Here is a video I shot of my learning experience with brazing...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeRPdVDCLyk[/ame]

drysdam said:
Thanks, I'm getting a book similar to that from the library. It looks like only a chapter is devoted to things that aren't strictly welding, but maybe that will be enough.

The AWS website was a good idea, but I don't see anything there that isn't about welding.

Drysdam,

Your not looking very hard. Here's one article I found in 4 minutes of my time. I suggest you spend 4 of yours investing in your education and look a bit harder.

http://www.aws.org/pr/WJ_October_2010/eMagFiles/source/WJ_oct2010.pdf

My reference for my post was from AWS....

Best of luck to you

Dave

<i>Your not looking very hard. Here's one article I found in 4 minutes of my time. I suggest you spend 4 of yours investing in your education and look a bit harder. </i>

I've spent a lot more than 4 minutes looking for this kind of information. The reason I'm asking here is that the information I find seems to assume you already know *something* from *somewhere*. I'm trying to identify that something and where I can get it.

Your PDF is a welding journal. The table of contents has nothing about soldering or brazing.

panofish, where did you get that microtorch? That might not be sufficient for all future jobs but it'd be more than enough for my current project. (No wait--I found it. Harbor Freight.)

I guess I'll have to just experiment with joining aluminum/brass because if you ask 3 people you get 4 opinions on if it can be done.

I guess I'll have to just experiment with joining aluminum/brass because if you ask 3 people you get 4 opinions on if it can be done.

I am not being nasty at all, but your attitude from the very start has not been very conducive to people wanting to help you.

People on the whole on this site will bend over backwards to help someone, and I must admit, I am a bit of a master when it comes to silver soldering, but the way you started off and moaned ever since, has made me back away very quickly.

John

I've never joined brass and aluminum, but I would guess it isn't possible?

There are flux/solder products on the market that claim to be able to join copper and brass with alu:

http://cupalloys.co.uk/joining-aluminium-c100014.html

I agree with Bogstandard - OP does have a bit of an attitude and seems to want everything served on a silver platter. The truth is that there are so many variables that you really need to do detailed studies on each application. All the information is out there and easily accessible if you take the time to look.

Let's try this again.

I have a small block of aluminum with a 3/32" hole in it that I cannot make smaller. I also have a 3/32" piece of brass tubing that I cannot make larger and is a loose fit in the former. I want it to stay in there. The temperature of the whole deal theoretically won't go above about 220°F but could if something goes wrong, so higher heat resistance is better. I do not want to use glue if it can be avoided. Other than a setscrew or similar, what are my options wrt soldering/brazing, if any?

I also have other pieces of aluminum and brass of a similar scale (up to about 1/4") that may need attaching in all possible configurations (Al/Al, brass/brass and Al/brass), so a solution that covers all cases would be ideal.

machine down the OD of the tube slightly, and make a bushing that is a tight fit for both, to go between them?

Just a thought. at that size it might be tough. maybe a ring more like a piston ring would be easier - a bushing with an open end so it will adjust to meet the tightness needed.

- Ryan

Ah yes. Now that you mention bushings, some of my fastenings will in fact be interference fit bushings themselves, so I don't need as much soldering as I was thinking when I wrote that.

On the 3/32" tubing, though, I think the bushing idea has two problems. One is the tubing wall thickness preventing going down too small (not sure what the wall thickness is).

The other problem is making the hole in the bushing. The reason the hole in the Al block can't be made smaller, is that I don't have a full set of tiny drill bits. I could step down by 1/32, but that's way too much for a fit. Thus I can't make the bushing either.

If I scared up a #42 drill bit (.0935) that might work for the 3/32" (.09375) tubing though. I'll see if I can find one around.

rhitee93 said:
There are many mechanical methods. Fasteners of all kinds, or interference fits as Marv mentioned. Regarding adhesives, some of the epoxies out there are amazing!

There is no metallurgical way to bond brass and aluminum that I know of. If this is what you are needing to do then I thik you are stuck with mechanical connections or adhesives.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGy7pHx6P3Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Wow!... there's your answer and great technique for brazing aluminum to brass!

Yeah, I found those guys. But with all the naysaying on Al vs brass, and being ignorant myself, I couldn't tell if it was a crock or what. They've got comments disabled at YouTube which could be a bad sign...

drysdam said:
Ah yes. Now that you mention bushings, some of my fastenings will in fact be interference fit bushings themselves, so I don't need as much soldering as I was thinking when I wrote that.

On the 3/32" tubing, though, I think the bushing idea has two problems. One is the tubing wall thickness preventing going down too small (not sure what the wall thickness is).

The other problem is making the hole in the bushing. The reason the hole in the Al block can't be made smaller, is that I don't have a full set of tiny drill bits. I could step down by 1/32, but that's way too much for a fit. Thus I can't make the bushing either.

If I scared up a #42 drill bit (.0935) that might work for the 3/32" (.09375) tubing though. I'll see if I can find one around.

Can the hole that the tube is going into be made BIGGER, so a bushing can go the other way?

Hi DS, Not to sound condescending, but the purchase of a small set of number drills would seem to be a prudent thing to do. Doing so would certainly allow you the flexibility of using parts at hand or making pieces to fit a whole lot simpler. Not to mention they would also be very useful in those tapping situations you mentioned earlier. I'm thinking of getting an extra set to augment the full monte set I have as I searched all over the other day for a #50. Finally found it underneath the drill press it had rolled under.

BC1
Jim

Oh, I'm definitely picking up small drill bits. But I'm getting nice ones piecemeal from a quality used source, so I can't predict when I'll have a particular size. Besides, I'd like to solve the "general problem" not just my current 3/32" issue. That's why I started in a general way.

Making the holes larger to fit bushings the other way. That's 100% genius. I might just be able to do that.

drysdam said:
<i>Your not looking very hard. Here's one article I found in 4 minutes of my time. I suggest you spend 4 of yours investing in your education and look a bit harder. </i>

I've spent a lot more than 4 minutes looking for this kind of information. The reason I'm asking here is that the information I find seems to assume you already know *something* from *somewhere*. I'm trying to identify that something and where I can get it.

Your PDF is a welding journal. The table of contents has nothing about soldering or brazing.

Try page 18....

drysdam said:
Making the holes larger to fit bushings the other way. That's 100% genius. I might just be able to do that.

Of course, you still have the problem of your 3/32" bit drilling too big for the tube. you'll have to drill the hole in the bushing some other way, to get a slightly smaller hole.

- Ryan

Can you provide a sketch of what your trying to do?

Dave

Back