Need help! Odd sized endmills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
I am in the need of some odd sized endmills. Does anyone know where I can buy or have these ground to size?

I need the following:

.610 +/- .005
.695 +/- .005

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric

Eric, I'll call the grinder I use tomorrow. How quick will you need them?
Tim

I'm curious. Why the need for these sizes?

Best,

BW

zeusrekning said:
Eric, I'll call the grinder I use tomorrow. How quick will you need them?
Tim

Quick would be nice, but I can wait. I will call you tomorrow Tim.

Eric

BobWarfield said:
I'm curious. Why the need for these sizes?

Best,

BW

Hey Bob... with my tiny lathe it is easier for me on some holes I need made. This will put it almost the correct size with a flat bottom. Just a little boring to finish it out. I need ALOT of them and this will save me some production time over boring it out from .5". This is what it is for:

GSXR%201.JPG

GSXR%203.JPG

These are carbon fiber & billet aluminum kickstands for motorcycles. The I.T. industry sucks (lost my job at Merrill Lynch) and am trying to start my own business.

Eric

Wow!

Those kickstands are awesome!

Good luck with that business. The kickstand is sure a cool idea. Will you be making any other motorcycle parts in carbon fiber? I would think eBay is a ready outlet for your products.

I have a car with a carbon fiber dash. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Beautiful space age stuff. I'm going to make myself some carbon fiber micarta some day soon. I don't know if that has application to motorcycles or not, but it's something I've wanted to fool with.

BTW, I use the endmills as flat bottom drills too. They work great.

Best,

BW

In this application a D bit will work very well.
Make from Drill rod, harden but don't temper, the heat generated when grinding the cutting face will be enough to let the edges down for alloy, brass or wood and allow it to keep it's edge longer.

Well at least I know what your new pic is now ;D

Looks good, I like the finish :D no use to me though...Sorry, couldn't balance on two wheels to save my life!! I stick to cars ;D

Ralph.

BobWarfield said:
Wow!

Those kickstands are awesome!

Good luck with that business. The kickstand is sure a cool idea. Will you be making any other motorcycle parts in carbon fiber? I would think eBay is a ready outlet for your products.

I have a car with a carbon fiber dash. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Beautiful space age stuff. I'm going to make myself some carbon fiber micarta some day soon. I don't know if that has application to motorcycles or not, but it's something I've wanted to fool with.

BTW, I use the endmills as flat bottom drills too. They work great.

Best,

BW

Yeah Bob, I have a few other products planned as soon as I get level with this one. I have several dealers begging for them and am looking at approaching a large shop/dealer next week.

Bunches of Carbon Fiber :big:

Eric

I was planning on making a fly cutter tonight and had specially bought myself a 1/4 reamer and ordered myself the material a few weeks back.
Got into the workshop and realised in my bulk order I had mistakenly ordered 3/8 BMS instead of 5/8 BMS. :mad:

So there went my plans to make a fly cutter tonight but I was in the workshop and still wanted to do something so I started on another simple tool that was lower down on my list but I had all the materials for it.

Although this is from my books of tools for clock makers I can see it being handy for other people too.
Let see if someone can guess what it will be before I finish it.

Start off with a 16mm bolt
bolt1.jpg

Cut the head off and machine the shaft and nut square.
bolt2.jpg

Cut a cap for the nut out of 1/16 mild steel.
bolt3.jpg

Glue it to the nut, file it to size and then drill it for 10BA screws.
bolt4.jpg

Remove the MS cap of the nut, clearance drill the cap, countersink the nut and then tap for 10BA
bolt5.jpg

This is as far as I got tonight I should hopefully finish it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back