need help for 7 1/4 quarry hunslet cylnder's

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doug.

Reaction score
hello I have a 7 1/4 quarry hunslet but I cant afford the cylinder castings. I was thinking about making them out of some mild steal pipe and sheet as I'm going to be running it on compressed air until I can get a boiler for it, but if I can make some cylinders that will work with compressed air and steam so i wont need to make new ones that will be better as i wont need to make another set. i think mild steal will rust too much on steam so dose anybody have any ideas of cheap (in the uk) materials that will work for steam and air? please tell me if this made no sense
thanks.

If there were any cheap materials that worked on steam and air, I'm sure that the model engineering fraternity would have embraced them by now.
For smaller engines, bronze is a classic material, but gets way too expensive for the larger scales where cast iron is the material of choice from full size downwards.
In your case, why don't you advertise on the UK sites Advert - All Ads and The home of Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop Magazines for unwanted castings. You might even find some on eBay.
Patience will pay off in the end while in the meantime you save up for full price castings!
Dave
The Emerald Isle

Doug.
Have you looked into making your cylinders from the solid using cast iron bar stock, if you can it could work out cheaper than castings, and your finished cylinders will be suitable for air and steam ready for your boiler.
Mike

Doug.
Have you looked into making your cylinders from the solid using cast iron bar stock, if you can it could work out cheaper than castings, and your finished cylinders will be suitable for air and steam ready for your boiler.
Mike
i have looked into it and sadly i cant get the size of cast bar to mishen it out of because the shape and the way its bolted onto the frames thanks for replying.

You might want to consider stainless steel to do the fabrication
I made the cylinders for my 7 1/4 Shay from 303 stainless (machined from solid) but if you have to fabricate to get the shape you want then I would go for either 304 or 316 as they will give better welder performance than 303.
Then you can either sleeve them in cast iron or bronze (my Shay runs bronze pistons )
Paul

You might want to consider stainless steel to do the fabrication
I made the cylinders for my 7 1/4 Shay from 303 stainless (machined from solid) but if you have to fabricate to get the shape you want then I would go for either 304 or 316 as they will give better welder performance than 303.
Then you can either sleeve them in cast iron or bronze (my Shay runs bronze pistons )
Paul
sounds intresting will look into it thanks

Latest posts

Back