• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Need a casting made please...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwcnc1911

-jwcnc191
Reaction score
Hello all you home foundry guys! I need to work out a deal to get some one to make me a casting or I need to make a trade for a large piece of stock.

Purchase price is going to be very high if I have to buy new stock.

I would be willing to pop out some CNC parts or things of that nature as an exchange.

Please see the attached picture of what I need. The second picture is a flywheel I recently made. The third picture is just a part I made last night for my current engine build and I stuck it here as bait in case some one needs a very pretty profile or contour. My machine has a work envelope of 48x24in.

Any one interested please pm or email me. My email address is my username at gmail.com.

I will also be putting this post on one more model engine forum.

For those interested I am located in SE USA.

Thanks guys!

2013-09-27 08.58.54.jpg

0912132154.jpg

0927130040a.jpg

Cast from Aluminum? Do you have a wood pattern? I'm not ready to cast, still building my furnace, but could possibly do it in a couple of weeks.
Chuck

I do not have a pattern at all. I don't see why I can't make one though. Aluminum would be good but I'd prefer something heavier. I could send a bunch of old brass valves I've been saving for my own venture into casting (which is years out). A couple weeks would be more than fine. I'd say my goal for this engine is about 2 more months. If then ;)!

I have not messed with casting brass yet. Checking with a buddy that may be able to do it.
In the mean time, if you get another offer, go for it.
Is it two pieces or are the base and upright one piece?

Chuck

Two pieces. All I need is the base. I made the upright out of 1in round stock.

Aluminum would be good, just thinking "the heavier the better."

O.K. Sent the info to my casting buddy to see what he says. We'll get back to you. Meanwhile, as I said, if someone else can do it in brass or quicker...
Chuck

Wow, that would be one heavy chunk of brass!! You want it cast solid? That could be a real problem due to shrinkage. You might want to consider casting a 1/4" thick casting then just filling the back with lead then cover with some felt. Im up to my ears in casting projects right now otherwised id take it on. You may want to post on http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php and see if someone ther would be willing.

Chuck, I've been seeing you on here and thinking we need to hook up any way. Maybe you can help me take a dive into casting.

Send me an email any way if you're interested.

Thanks aone, I'll check into that! I would not be opposed to hollow casting and filling as long as it cleans up and looks good.

Hi there

I'm afraid it's an old story that you have heard before.

to cast something in metal (or any castable mat'l) you first need a physical "pattern" casting is a process of reproduction , you could cast the original drawing, but all you would get would be a metal sheet of paper.

Joking aside, I used to run a small foundry,

I think from your drawing that it would probably be easier to machine it from solid than to cast it, there are no complex curves or pockets involved

It is a fairly simple job but probably a good idea to drill the center hole first then use that to turn the rest

Screw it on an M8 bolt then line it up in the chuck

Regards Mark

Not sure what I am supposed to see as a drawing ............. a disc 164 mm diameter by 38 mm thick with a chamfered top 14 mm deep ?
I presume the dimensions are in mm as there is reference to an M8 thread.
A wood pattern would take a no more than a few minutes to make.
Why not cast in MAZAK (ZAMAK) , no furnace required you can melt it in a wood fire using a piece of steel pipe as a crucible .
It is heavier than Aluminium and , and easy to obtain cheaply from auto breakers , lots of die cast parts such as carburetters and water pumps , door handles bonnet ornaments etc were made from it.
The casting doesn't need to be accurate or even smooth as you have machining facilities and this alloy machines very easily.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input! However, the problem is not making it... been machining for a living for 15 years... the problem is bar stock or flat stock that size is going to be outrageous!

I'd like to do a little trading so neither party is out more than a $12 flat rate usps box.

Alu dxl 180x40 is around 20Euro incl tax for private customers in Germany. I wonder how many hours you really want to work for savings of... maybe 10?!

The best i can find in new stock is a 1ft by 1ft in 1.5 in thick at $160.

Round bar is even more.

And i'm on here frequently so it's not work. Not to mention if I can make a new friend and have a friendly exchange I'll be even better off.

What's yout source?

2013-09-27 13.32.19.jpg

@abby

good idea !

you can melt MAZAC or it's diecast brethren on a domestic stove

Gas one preferably electrics might struggle a bit

as you said your "crucible" needs only to be a bit of steel pipe or something similar with the bottom closed to make a cup

you could make the mould from plaster , or even garden topsoil at a pinch, I've tried it, not as good as proper black moulding sand, but it does work

JW

Hack a cavity in some Plaster of Paris (or garden dirt) big enough to make your job and a little more then pour some MAZAC into it

there is plenty of the stuff about, old electric motors, toys, old computer bits.

All grist to the mill

$100 plus for a piece of ali that size is extortionate !

I think I might have a bit of Al big enough to do your job here

If you get really stuck PM me , I will do my best but shipping might be a tad pricey

Regards Mark

For simple moulds I would roll some thin sheet steel into shape or use a suitable saucepan etc which can be cut away from the casting , this will avoid any steam related accidents , although much cooler than aluminium there is still a lot of heat present.

Thanks for the mazac idea guys but I don't have access to that or have any of it laying around. I'm really ill-equipped for any casting as I have nothing to that goal yet. I see me getting burnt badly doing that without proper gear and equipment.

However, I'm not opposed to exchanging CNC machined parts for a mazac casting. I don't care what metal it is as long as it cleans up and looks good on the cosmetic surfaces. I assume any metal reasonably available would be heavy enough to do the job. I mean it's a base... beyond decent weight and cosmetics nothing really matters. Except cost!

I hate to sound like this but I'm just not wanting to do any casting until I can properly jump all the way in. If you guys knew my propensity for getting burnt you'd tell me to hold off too. When I told my wife I was going to start a small home foundry she sh*t like a duck. To be honest she's the reason I want to wait until I'm fully prepared. Every time I listen to her things go well, the other way... not so much.

Skyline: if I haven't had any takers on a casting trade within a week or two I'll hit you up on your offer - thank you!

Back