N.A.M.E.S. 2013 And historic boiler and steam course

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glen, thanks for the update.

I had a great time and plan to be back in 2014. Thanks to the whole NAMES crew for another fine show.

Regards,

Chuck Kuhn

Glad you liked it, it did turn out nice all the way around!

Unless your the Mayor's sister. :)
Great show, as always.

Your right but they did catch her! so I guess they still are some of the tightest. and thanks I will pass it on.

I read through all the rules I had and no where did it say no sales on Friday, First I would like to know why the arena is filled with people not setting up as exhibitors or vendors? I had a guy at my table tell me he was just here for the day on Friday? Also we need to teach people how and where to park, why do all the exhibitors and vendors take every parking space closest to the door? Cmon, this was the worst show Ive had yet barely beating out last years!! I had thiefs stealing my stuff which by 3pm Saturday had ruined my whole show experiance! I also found out because I didnt pay my fees soon enough I got the worst table a vendor could have!! you know the junk,glass,china crap needs all to be in one area!!! I got stuck in the junk area and just was robbed blind!! Next year I am making a decision on which show I will be supporting in the future , I always thought I was the future of this hobby be being one of the youngest vendors to participate,but I dont know anymore, I felt like they could have gave a half a s&^t about me being there!! Bad year at N.A.M.E.S.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your problems, I suggest you contact the directors of the NAMES Jim who handles the vendors both rental. As to location of the tables or booths it will depend on if you need air, electric hook up. If people were stealing from your table, I don't know what you expect NAMES to do about it. You should have somebody watching your table or booth.

As to the parking again I don't think much can be done about it. With an open parking lot. With the age of the exhibitors and the limited number of handicap parking spaces. It will be first come, first parked.

That is a decision you will have to make, about which show.

You should have talked to Mike Danko, Jim Synder, Carl Gross or one of the other Directors that were walking around the show all weekend. Or had somebody ask for them to come by your set up. About the problems you were having.

I don't know what good it will do now that it is Tuesday evening 2 days after the show.

The no sales on Friday was discussed on the forums leading up to the show dates. I will not explain the reason for the change yet again. About the people sneaking in on set up day, it is almost impossible to keep somebody that wants to cheat on the admission price. Again the time would have been on Friday to tell a director about it.

I don't know about the extra people you are talking about as when the exhibitors finished setting up, they do walk around and see old friends and talk to them. this is been going on at every show I have worked on.

I really can't help you as I am a volunteer worker at the show on set up run the air compressor, and take down the equipment and load the trailers. Every thing you have mentioned should have been addressed when it was happening to the directors of the group!

I had thiefs stealing my stuff which by 3pm Saturday had ruined my whole show experiance! I also found out because I didnt pay my fees soon enough I got the worst table a vendor could have!! you know the junk,glass,china crap needs all to be in one area!!! I got stuck in the junk area and just was robbed blind!!

After I posted the previous remarks I got curious when you were. I looked your location up I was table 16, which was at the north end of the arena. You had Smokeler on on side of you, he and the guys buying his used tooling, cutters and cut off stock might be offended by the term junk! on your other side was Jan from Tall Grass Tools, he sells kits and finished tooling for the home shop people.

There was no China to my knowledge, the glass (lab glass ware, and first aid stuff) was all the way down at the other end of the arena.
Across from you were the live steam large scale engines. And Richard Trimester was across from you. I know He would not like his used machinery and tooling referred to as junk.

Considering that I visited with Jan@TGT on all 3 days, and I also looked at Smokers stuff and bought 10 pounds of brass tube and bar stock on Saturday. And walked around the arena all 3 days from opening to closing. You could have hailed me I could have got a director for you.
I'm not that hard to spot as I am the only one wearing a top hat with feathers, and have for a number of years.

Used tooling and such is a big part of the home shop world,every show will have it.

First I did talk with the people I needed to about my problems,my location and my situation, and as for you I did see you walk around with your hat and I did notice during the entire show you never once looked at my table. Jan is a great guy,so is paul , so dont go putting words in my mouth about saying the locomotive guys stuff was junk! I never said that, I said I was in the junk area. If I need a glass bowl or 500 grinding stones I go to the flea market not the model show. Its funny you said the same thing jim said when I was complaining about my location and he said he had no idea what I sell or have, 10 years of doing this show and no one has a clue about me, including yourself. Thanks again.

First I did talk with the people I needed to about my problems,my location and my situation, and as for you I did see you walk around with your hat and I did notice during the entire show you never once looked at my table. Jan is a great guy,so is paul , so dont go putting words in my mouth about saying the locomotive guys stuff was junk! I never said that, I said I was in the junk area. If I need a glass bowl or 500 grinding stones I go to the flea market not the model show. Its funny you said the same thing jim said when I was complaining about my location and he said he had no idea what I sell or have, 10 years of doing this show and no one has a clue about me, including yourself. Thanks again.
You said you were in the junk area, I didn't say you said the live steamers were junk.

You said
"I got stuck in the junk area and just was robbed blind!!" what other than the one magazine was stolen from you?

And I did see your wares numerous times, drawing plans for your engines, recycled materials, odds and ends, the magazines. So you had a flea market table too!

I had no interest in what you were selling, I already have a complete set of Model Engine magazines.

Back