Mystery metal identity?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorstrain

Reaction score
Does any one know what the metal used in printer and scanner linear bearings is?
I'm talking about the long rods that typically have a bronze bush slide up and down it's length.

It' is silver in colour all the way through, (Stainless silver not mild steel silver)with no exterior coating. It machines beautifully and the swarf chips readily on normal cuts and powders on the spring cuts (0.01mm or <5 thou) with a HSS tool bit.
I would say that it is reasonably soft compared to mild steel.
Drills and taps with ease.
I'm using it to make some small nut and was just interested.

Cheers
Phil

I've no idea of the metal but I liberate them whenever I see a dumped printer. I turn them into motorcycle gear linkage connecting rods. Cut to length, LH thread one end & RH thread the other, fit with 2x nuts & they miraculously turn into a couple of beer's from biker mates.

I was told that the ones on dot matrix printers, if removed with care, are accurately straight to +/- 0.002mm !

Hi Phil, if I am reading the breakdown of the patent correctly, the rod is a linear bearing and is composed of Stainless Steel.
All the best for now,
John.

kellswaterri said:
Hi Phil, if I am reading the breakdown of the patent correctly, the rod is a linear bearing and is composed of Stainless Steel.
All the best for now,
John.

Hi John,
I think it is too soft for stainless, but it has the shine of stainless not the dull shine of mild steel. Maybe its got some nickel in it, I'm not sure.

Babba
It certainly is a nice metal to work with. and I got it out of a dumped multi function printer.

Thanks for the replies,
Phil

It might be 303 S/Steel as this machines very easy but does not have the full corrosion properties as say a 304 or 316

Paul

I'm not sure they're all "stainless".
Most of what I've liberated from defunct printers, machines beautifully, but doesn't have much corrosion resistance.
To be fair, I do live on the waterfront.
I find that any stock I keep in the workshop has to be kept in greased paper or surface pitting soon develops.

I find it turns much like CR1020 or CR1030, AKA "silver steel".

After machining, a few secs at high speed with green Scotchbrite gives a very respectable finish.
(BTW, I do use the trade name advisedly, any old green scourer aint gonna work. 3M Scotchbrite has an abrasive embedded.)

Lovely material and you can't argue with the price!

Rgds, Lin

John,

If it's 400 series, it will be magnetic......300 series is not magnetic....

400 series will rust too!

Dave

Latest posts

Back