Mystery Engine (castings)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolskiFran

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
The pics are of steam engine castings my friend has. Some of the engine is partially finished, as you can see. There are no casting identification marks that I could see. The bore is 1 1/2", with 2" stroke (approx.). The engine would have a reversing gear that would mount to the bosses located on the main casting using the two eccentrics. It seems there are missing castings. Flywheel, outboard bearing stand, and possibly the base are missing. I've looked through the catalogs that I have and can not find anything that comes close. According to him the project may have been started in the late 1940's to early 50's.

Here are some pics:
IMG_1165Small.jpg

IMG_1163Small.jpg

IMG_1162Small.jpg

IMG_1161Small.jpg

IMG_1160Small.jpg

IMG_1169Small.jpg

IMG_1159Small.jpg

It is a fairly large engine. If you have seen anything like it in your travels let me know. Any help or leads would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank

Hey frank some engine > I have no idea whatit is but nice to see you checking in here.
Tin

Thanks for the help. I do believe it could be a school project that was never finished. The casting quality seems very good. You don't see that smooth of a finish on castings lately.

P.S. Thanks for the welcome back Tin. Hope I can get something new finished for the show in January.

Frank

The engine would have a reversing gear that would mount to the bosses located on the main casting using the two eccentrics. It seems there are missing castings. Flywheel, outboard bearing stand, and possibly the base are missing. I've looked through the catalogs that I have and can not find anything that comes close.

Latest posts

Back