myford taper attachment bolt

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
would anyone happen to know the thread size for the bolts used on the taper attachment.

making a DRO mount and would like to utilize these but crud inside and need to be chased, don't want to re tap a new thread accidentally

Thank you,
cant say I have seen those readily available in Ontario!
time for some hunting around :)

would you suppose I should stick to this idea or drill and tap for a more readily available bolt?

Thank you,
cant say I have seen those readily available in Ontario!
time for some hunting around :)
I suspect they would be special order in most places these days!
would you suppose I should stick to this idea or drill and tap for a more readily available bolt?

This is always a hard one to answer. Some people like to keep their machines unaltered a pristine. Others see their machines as building blocks upon which to realize their dreams.

In any event you have a few options:
1. Make your own bolts suitable for the threads already in the machine.
2. Go to a larger bolt after drilling out the threads for the next size up, be that unified or metric.
3. Drill out the threads and put in thread inserts for a similar diameter bolt. A solid thread insert like a Time-Sert would work well here. A thread insert would have a side benefit of more durable threads in cast iron.
4. Install studs and use nuts to hold the assembly in place. Think automotive heads here.

Personally I'd go with Time-Serts with the idea of using the same diameter or close diameter bolts to hold the brackets. It is a clean alteration that requires a minimal of effort and once done you never have to worry about buying bolts again. I'd probably aim for metric threads just to make sure bolts are never a problem again.

The one thing I wouldn't do is to expend a lot of effort to try to find bolts that aren't readily available.

thank you, always appreciate different solutions.

I never considered drilling the current threads out or using a time-sert.
interesting ideas!

I was contemplating drilling and tapping for a readily available bolt, maybe located an inch or half inch away from the current locations.

thank you, always appreciate different solutions.

I never considered drilling the current threads out or using a time-sert.
interesting ideas!

I was contemplating drilling and tapping for a readily available bolt, maybe located an inch or half inch away from the current locations.

Well like they say there is more than one way to skin a cat. I wouldn't move the bolt holes if I could avoid it though.

I would however avoid outmoded threads. You would likely end up paying a lot for a box and only ever use a couple out of that box. Just the shipping from England would be excessive.

Besides learning to use thread inserts is a good thing as they can solve problems in an elegant way. There are actually several types of thread inserts out there, we do use a lot of Time-Serts at work though.

1/4 BSF are quite handy for reclaiming dodgy M6 tapped holes where there isn't room to do much else - buy a few! Don't ask me how I know that... :hDe:

BSF taps are readily available online through suppliers to the classic motorcycle and car world, as are BSF bolts. To clean out a dirty existing thread you don't need a tap, necessarily. Get some BSF bolts and put a longitudinal hacksaw cut down one side of the threaded end and then screw that in the hole to clean it up.

Latest posts

Back