Myford Super 7 MK1 headstock bearings replacement ?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

info_1

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am a new member. I need some help with a Myford super 7 head stock bearings replacement... I think the Chuck end of the head is worn..I get a slight knocking when i take a small cut now..Its very noisy... and vibrates through the work piece.. any help I would be grateful. R.

I would first remove the spindle from the headstock and inspect the conical front bearing and rear bearing before making any plans.

Hi Charles, Yes I tried to move the pressure towards the chuck.. but made no difference, except the shaft got tighter ..
I don’t understand what you are talking about. What pressure? Do you mean you have moved the spindle forward by adjusting the rear bearing assembly forward? If so the spindle should have loosened. Forget looking at videos, get a copy of the Myford S7 manual and study the drawings. adjustment is fairly straightforward once you understand what does what. Adjust the rear bearing assembly first, then use that to move the spindle until the large conical bronze bearing just nips up. Then move the spindle forward by a quarter of a turn. You will probably need to replace the pair of rear ball races. I have never heard of anyone trying to replace the large bronze taper bearing. I have modified my S7B to have the rear ball races replaced with a pair of taper roller bearings. DickG

Thanks Dick,
I have tried to do this..but get some noises ..from the headstock. I think I will take your advice and checkout the rear bearings... The shaft seems a little tight to turn by hand. I think new rear bearings will help..

Hello All,
I am a new member. I need some help with a Myford super 7 head stock bearings replacement... I think the Chuck end of the head is worn..I get a slight knocking when i take a small cut now..Its very noisy... and vibrates through the work piece.. any help I would be grateful. R.
Hi, when you say you have a’knocking noise’ when taking a small cut, have you checked for excessive backlash in the bull gear lock for the back gear. In direct drive, (lathe switched off of course), try twisting the chuck back and forth slightly whilst holding the spindle belt pulleys to prevent them from turning. Can you feel any backlash? If you try taking the same cut in ‘back gear’ mode, is the knock still present?

Hi, when you say you have a’knocking noise’ when taking a small cut, have you checked for excessive backlash in the bull gear lock for the back gear. In direct drive, (lathe switched off of course), try twisting the chuck back and forth slightly whilst holding the spindle belt pulleys to prevent them from turning. Can you feel any backlash? If you try taking the same cut in ‘back gear’ mode, is the knock still present?
Rear bearings are shot! DickG

Thanks for your help. I will change out the rear bearings and checkout the spindle condition..
Ray M.

Rear bearings are shot! DickG

Well, they might be, but there could be any number of other causes of noise. For example, I once had a knocking noise that was a result of the pulley having too much end float. I can't remember, but the angular contact bearings may well be inch size and not easily obtainable in the UK.

I also noted on the back of my Lathe bed..it says made in England M3 I haven't seen this M3 before ? anyone know what it means..
R.

Back