Myford Super 7 - funny behaviour

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A dial mike and possibly a No2 MT test bar - or longer -- and a big heave ho ,would show what the front spindle and its bearing were doing- or not doing. It IS a traditional test, if I recall

Guys
I was on the lathe yesterday and I did notice another thing that might help pinpoint the problem. I have a Rodney mill that I connected up, the Rodney drive as you probably know is taken from a tapered rod that passes through the lathe spindle and is tightened up by a nut on the other end of the spindle. Well I never have noticed this before but when the nut was tightened the lathe spindle seemed to seize up. This sounds a bit weird to me as I wouldn't have thought this would put any pressure on the bearings! I can see me stripping things down to tak a look... Albeit very reluctantly..
Thanks again for the feedback

Ah! So it is the spindle after all. So the Rodney mill is actually pulling the lathe spindle -and locking it whereas the 'normal' running without the Rodney fitted or working is 'flopping about' nipping and freeing ad finitum.

So you might have to strip the whole lot down- and perhaps blue and scrape the front bearing- before putting it all back----- correctly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, Charles- my apologies- I was wrong.

Meantime, my kind regards

Norman

Latest posts

Back