my very first engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Itowbig,

The feeling never goes away, no matter how many you make, that first run is great. Whether it be a basic model or more complicated engine, you have creative a living, moving thing out of raw materials.

Well done, and keep it up.

Put your non runner under the bench, and come back to it when you have a bit more experience. You might find that it is a runner, but you don't have the tweaking experience just yet.

John

Bogstandard said:
Put your non runner under the bench, and come back to it when you have a bit more experience. You might find that it is a runner, but you don't have the tweaking experience just yet.

Amen to that. After sitting for a whole winter on the shelf, I had one of my Ringboms in my hand, ready to scavenge it for metal for another engine when I decided to give it "just one more try". One more try ended up being a day of fiddling but, ultimately, the damn thing ran.

I'm often asked if I've ever built an engine that didn't work. My response is that I've never built one that didn't work but built plenty that didn't work on the first (or second or...) try.

Bogstandard said:
The feeling never goes away, no matter how many you make, that first run is great. Whether it be a basic model or more complicated engine, you have creative a living, moving thing out of raw materials.
Totally agree with that comment ! I put my 1st uncompleted engine aside for 2+ years due to lack of machining chops. My 1st completed engine ran the very 1st time last year - man, what a fun rush that was ! I was super-stoked for a while on that one !

I came back a year ago and finished PM Research's 2A wobbler and after many more mistakes and more fiddling, it ran too ! Very cool :)

I've got another engine waiting in the wings, parts are done, just need to clean up, polish and get working !!

Mike

Latest posts

Back