my tiny ic

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneKone

Reaction score
well after about 3 plus years ago when i built this:
IMG_0583.JPG

I wanted to build something else. soon after i finished it work picked up and i had no free time left (after work) until now! i wanted something that would show a mechanical side of running but to my liking.

its finally quietened down now and i have Fridays off so i thought id try to build a tiny ic. i asked my boss if i could learn a new machine so he put me on a 5 axis mazak, our "senior" machinist said i could machine parts for the tiny so i started the process.

IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

the machine i used is a MAZAK INTEGREX 100 II Y, iv gotta tell ya its difficult to learn on coming from a 3 axis machine. the way you program it is totally different (to me).

i still have a ways to go completing the parts iv made, head, con rod but so far its been fun. i am going to change the design buy have an enclosed engine block, i know most people will hate this considering I'm changing it a bit but hey its all in good terms. I'm a bit too sick at the moment to work on it but next Friday ill start again.

Nice looking parts. Your boss is a good guy for lending you the equipment.

Hi Steve,
Welcome from faraway Singapore where home machinists are very rare.

Wish I have same boss too.

The truth was I ran a shop with full compliment of machine tools for 20 years and Poor Gus just had to time to go on to shop floor. After office hours Gus is 3/4 dead and time to go home.That was 13 years ago. Laid off generously and machine tools gone.

Today I only have a one wall, three open sided mini balcony machine shop .Fortunately here in Singapore,its summer time through out and rainfall not too heavy.
But I have rust problems.

Please post video when engine runs.

he is a awesome boss. he lets me use manual/cnc machines. I think he's just happy I have a passion for using the machines. I'm still a young guy and pretty new to the machining world (6 years) so its good I get to learn new techniques.

I don't know when I'll finish the motor but there will be all the steps and the first run.

I'm also thinking about winding my own miniature ignition coil. I should only need 150-250 turns secondary and 10-20 turns primary for 5-8 kV. I'm just so excited to try all new ideas on this motor!!

he is a awesome boss. he lets me use manual/cnc machines. I think he's just happy I have a passion for using the machines. I'm still a young guy and pretty new to the machining world (6 years) so its good I get to learn new techniques.

I don't know when I'll finish the motor but there will be all the steps and the first run.

I'm also thinking about winding my own miniature ignition coil. I should only need 150-250 turns secondary and 10-20 turns primary for 5-8 kV. I'm just so excited to try all new ideas on this motor!!

Hi Chris,
HT Coil.
Please keep us posted. Meanwhile I do with an antique HT Coil robbed from another antique car.Planned to wind my own coil but too many hobbies.

so i went into work today and finished the head and con-rod and made a cylinder and cylinder sleeve.

so i faced the head and drilled the valve holes to size using a spotting drill.
IMG_0606.JPG

iv decided to have the cylinder and crank case in two parts. i made the cylinder today and ill make the crankcase next week.
IMG_0608.JPG

the plans called for a cast iron, steel or stainless sleeve, i opted for ss because i could get a nice finish from the machine. (lazy!)
IMG_0610.JPG

I'm just happy to be making progress, visual progress is something too so a sub? assembly going on!
IMG_0612.JPG

i might take a day off work but go in anyway, seeing as work is low i think my boss will be on-board with this idea.
one of the more cooler parts is that my girlfriend is learning and identifying! parts as i make them.

Well i managed to get some more time on the integrex today. i machined the crankcase and timing gears with help!

IMG_0628.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

it's coming together now, the crankcase is two parts that will be bolted together.
next up was the gears, what a learning curve! all this info I'm trying to take is almost making my head explode..

IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0643.JPG

the gears were cut using a threading tool with a 2mm pitch insert. this was such a awesome thing to see,

IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG

Chris001:

I'm very interested in reading all about this little engine that you are building. The photos are great. Hope the engine-building will bring you much success.

A few questions:

1. Did you design the engine?
2. Will drawings be available?
3 What is that small, additional, round, rod on the side of the con-rod? What is the function of this? This can be seen in your first series of photos. (Interesting, and unconventional construction of the con-rod).

Can't wait for more. Thanks for sharing.

Frank

Hi Chris,
It looks like you're making excellent progress on your engine. If I might make one suggestion. While the 2 brass gears will run together fine, although 2 different materials would be better for wear, I would say that the cam lobes being made from brass won't last very long. Usually most fellows make their cams from drill rod/silver steel for that reason. They don't need to be hardened although that would help also.
gbritnell

Mr. Britnell:

Your posting refers to material choice in two critical areas of engine construction, i.e. cams, and gear material.

Gears: You suggested that two different metals would be a better choice for the gears. If one metal wears faster than the other, would not the teeth on the gear made from the faster wearing metal eventually be ruined? Would this material choice need to be considered in the construction a model engine, and what metals would make for good wearing gears?

Cams/lobes: Brass, bad choice....Silver Steel/Drill Rod, better choice. Hardened cams, best. Generally, do builders use softer lifters on a hardened cam? Why? Is it just easier to replace a lifter than to re-machine, or, replace a cam lobe? If this is the case, would making a cam with replaceable, separate, lobes be a good practice?

I defer to your experiences, and knowledge. I need to learn what you already know.

Frank

Chris001:

I'm very interested in reading all about this little engine that you are building. The photos are great. Hope the engine-building will bring you much success.

A few questions:

1. Did you design the engine?
2. Will drawings be available?
3 What is that small, additional, round, rod on the side of the con-rod? What is the function of this? This can be seen in your first series of photos. (Interesting, and unconventional construction of the con-rod).

Can't wait for more. Thanks for sharing.

Frank
im copying the engine from plans, i believe they were posted by putputman.
here is the link for the drawings: (through pages1-5?)

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f14/tiny-i-c-engine-7397/

the " small, additional, round, rod on the side of the con-rod" is where it was parted off from the bar-stock, i have since machined it off.

Hi Chris,
It looks like you're making excellent progress on your engine. If I might make one suggestion. While the 2 brass gears will run together fine, although 2 different materials would be better for wear, I would say that the cam lobes being made from brass won't last very long. Usually most fellows make their cams from drill rod/silver steel for that reason. They don't need to be hardened although that would help also.
gbritnell

the plans called for the cammed gear to be brass. im hoping by using brass on brass (cam/cam follower?) that wear will be reduced. although it is inevitable it will wear.

i will see if i can make some from steel, the method i used to cut the teeth might not like it but ill ask for advice from a fellow machinist from where i work.

thank you for your suggestion, it has given me something to think about

chris001....

Just read your answers to my questions. Very good news. I will look at the drawings.

As for the extra piece on the con-rod....I'm laughing because I spent so long trying to figure out the possible function of the small cylinder. Now, I know.

Thanks for the help. Can't wait for more of the build to be posted.

Frank

Hi Frank,
You could make one gear from brass and the other from a mild steel like 12L14. It cuts almost like brass. If you make the cam from drill rod it doesn't need to be hardened. By hardening the lifters this will give a good surface to surface contact without much wear at all. The general rule is never run two parts together made from the same material. As far as the gears you can use brass for both, a lot of builders use either 2 gears from mild steel or 2 from brass. You don't have a great friction contact from tooth to tooth.
gbritnell

Mr.Britnell:

Thanks for addressing my questions.

Your answers were good to read but the logic behind the choice of the material for these parts was my real interest. I will follow your suggestions.

***************************************************************************************************************
chris001:

Just looked at the drawings for this engine.

Thanks.

Frank

chris001:

The original "Tiny" I.C. drawings show a horizontal, water-cooled, Hit and Miss engine. You decided to make a vertical, air-cooled version using the critical dimensions, etc. Nice!

Frank

iv had 2 more days of free time............. time to do machining!

i made the cam follower, crankcase bushes, which are PB1 so they should be semi porus and (cant remember the name!) the ring that goes onto the 15T gear, crankshaft/ in three parts, i tried turning it in a eccentric (offset) bush that i made but it kept on spinning so i thought bugger it! i also made the rocker stand-off and linkage. the next part was the valves, how fun that was, i turned them from 8mm bar stock. because of the smaller diameters i had to go lower on roughing feeds/depth of cut and grooving depth of cut/feeds.

in one of the photos i have my hand next to it to show size. hopefully next week i can finish the valve springs, spark plug, and push-rod maybe the flywheel.

im just not sure on the carb if i should make my own design or buy one from hobbyking. im still tossing up if i should wind the ignition coil myself and work on a circuit for the cdi ignition.

IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

iv just had a thought!
would i be able to use a vapour fuel tank? the only reason i can think of to use a conventional carb is to add a bit of oil to the mix to lubricate the valves. what if i added wd40, sewing machine oil to the fuel, would it "travel" with the fuel vapour?

Hi Chris,

Your engine looks great. Would be great if you can post PDF plans too. Gus trying very hard not build this engine. Alas. Just too weak to resist.
Now in the process of fine tuning the Webster Engine. Will take time to enjoy the pleasure of tuning "Webbie."
The CDI ignition should arrive and I plan to put it in to try out space age
Ignition. At our age we grew up and old with Dinosaur Ignition System.
Are you planning to CDI?

Last edited:
hi gus,

Ill try to draw up some plans for the crankcase and cylinder. at the moment the drawings are scattered on random bits of paper and through my head!

when i first started messing around with 4 stroke motors they ran on points but cdi seems the way to go, my idea is to have a point system on the gears to trigger a cdi unit. i think it would be a respect to both old and new school.

before i joined this site i looked at your build and was intrigued by it. iv had another look and bloody hell mate! the build has come so far and the quality of it is just outstanding.

Latest posts

Back