My Friend Karl

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is some more of the port engine of the "Deutchland"...and one of the model he built of the tug "Jissel" in 1/25th scale

scan0001-5.jpg

Karl2.jpg

karl3.jpg

karl4.jpg

karl5.jpg

karl6.jpg

karl7.jpg

karl8.jpg

This is a total of 3 different engines......4 if you count two in Jissel.....

Dave

steamer said:
bump.....
Whoops - Sorry Dave - was in a trance looking at the exquisite detail in the close-up shots! - Needed that bump to bring me back to reality ;)

Thanks very much for posting this eye candy!

Kind Regards, Arnold

<WHIMPER>

woohoo1 th_confused0052 th_confused0052 th_confused0052

Each of the smaller 1-cylinder engines (Stuart, etc.) is a work of art in itself !!!

I've been studying Marine Steam from the books and to some extent in real practice on a couple of steamers......to say nothing of my participation with the "Steam Team" at Mystic doing restoration work. Every time I look at those photo's I have another question to research or I learn something new, either about the big stuff, or the small stuff.......

It's quite amazing..... :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Dave

I too kinda study marine steam. I'm a volunteer on the S.S. Lane Victory - a fully operational WWII Victory cargo ship here in Los Angeles.

www.lanevictory.org

When we do our cruises (e.g. this past weekend), I'm an engine room tour guide. So I get to see marine steam (turbine) up close and personal ! During our 8-hour cruises, I'm probably in the engine room 3-1/2 to 4 hours showing folks around. I'm mostly stationed near the boilers, but also go where needed. It's fun to open up the little boiler firebox viewing window and watch people's eye go wide open and the jaws drop !! :big:

All kinds of steam powered duplex pumps, turbine pumps, steam powered generators, huge condensor, more pumps, oil coolers, etc.

I've got to get up the San Francisco and visit the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien :

http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/

An operational WWII Liberty ship. It's triple expansion piston powered. All the deck equipment - e.g. winches are also steam powered. You can see more steam engines on that ship in a few hours then you'll see anywhere else !! <droooooooooolllllllllllll> :D

Mike

Mike, th_wwp !!!
It would be great if you could post some photos to the break room. It might just inspire some great builds :)
Regards, Arnold

Been on cruise with the Obrien. I spent the entire cruise in the engine room ;D.

The Chief, "Cookie" , looked at me and said that I would miss the airplane flyover if I didn't go top side. I told him I can see airplanes all the time... ;D

He then gave me a personal tour stem to stern of the engine room

On a previous visit to the Obrien, I was lucky enough to have my good friend Ray Hasbrouck with me and he did a similar tour for me as he was an engineer on a Liberty ship during the war......very cool. :)

Dave

arnoldb said:
Mike, th_wwp !!!
It would be great if you could post some photos to the break room. It might just inspire some great builds :)
Regards, Arnold

I've got quite a few, been waaaaaaaaayyyy behind in the picture posting area.

steamer said:
Been on cruise with the Obrien. I spent the entire cruise in the engine room ;D.

The Chief, "Cookie" , looked at me and said that I would miss the airplane flyover if I didn't go top side. I told him I can see airplanes all the time... ;D

He then gave me a personal tour stem to stern of the engine room

On a previous visit to the Obrien, I was lucky enough to have my good friend Ray Hasbrouck with me and he did a similar tour for me as he was an engineer on a Liberty ship during the war......very cool. :)

Dave

I've seriously got to get up there now ! I too would probably spend the whole trip in the engine room !! We have planes "strafe" the Lane Victory too as part of the shtick :p Did a nice plane show (7 AT-6's from the Condor Squadron out of Van Nuy, CA) this past Sunday too. Kids love it, can't stop asking, "When are the planes coming ?? !!).

My 1st trip on the Lane a couple of years ago, I spent at least 1-1/2 hours in the engine room. The girlfriend was worried I had fallen overboard. Then the engine room tour guides wouldn't let me go till I signed up as a tour guide !!

IT'S A SICKNESS :big: :big:

Mike

Its very hard to put your finger on just what is the most impressive feature here.

Is it the research? Most of us can relate to spending way more time then budgeted to make a simple change to something here or there. The amount of prep work that has to go into this project is simply staggering. Even if you start with the origional blueprints,how many hundreds of pages are there? Then scale them down? How many man hours could you waste just trying to figgure out where to put the first hole and order the rest of the operations?

Is it the castings? How many hours get sunk into pattern making? Core making? Raised lettering?

Is it the detail? How many operations went into one single hand lever that you dont really even notice until the 5368th time you look at it? All the nameplates? The gauge dials?

Is it the enormity of the workholding problems presented here?

Or is it the sheer impracticality of a museum quality scale model ship engine that will never power a model ship? That almost makes it the classic unrequited love story in itself.

Latest posts

Back