My Friend Karl

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steamer

Reaction score
Hi All,

An Aquaintance of mine, (I say friend but I barely know him really, I have the utmost respect for his talents though), anyway, a friend of mine sent me pictures of an unbelievable model he built of the main propulsion plant ( port side only) of the steamer "Deutschland".

His name is Karl.....I'll leave his last name out for now as I have not asked him if posting his name was OK......

It all functions :eek: :bow:....as time permits I'll post some more of the pictures....

He's obviously a master! :bow: :bow:

Deutschlandpictures.jpg

Dave

PS He also built a similar model of the Titanics engines......

Here's a video...it apparently is in a museum now and I fear the worst has happend to Karl...I don't know
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLndiRu_Gls[/ame]

Difficult to find words to describe this work of art.... WOW!! th_confused0052 - Stunning!!
Regards, Arnold

That is certainly a jaw dropper. Unbelievable stuff.
What museum?
th_confused0052 th_confused0052 th_confused0052

Honestly Zee, I don't know. When I spoke to Karl via email last, a couple of years ago anyway, he had the engine......

Now I am not so sure....

Dave

Wow. Makes you want to build in larger scales doesn't it?

I went to the You Tube page and the description on the video says:

"A model steam engine at the Hamburg International Maritime museum"

Oh my god th_confused0052 th_confused0052 th_confused0052 That is a "Monster" of engine models!!
Paolo

Makes me feel totally inadequate! I'm at a loss for words .It's beautiful!!! th_wav th_wav th_wav th_wav th_wav

Ron

I got to observe his engines running at the NAMES show this year. They were the most impressive models of the entire show in my opinion. I kept going back again and again to marvel at them.

Charlie

That is just amazing artwork.

Thanks for posting it Dave!

Rick

Just stunning workmanship :bow: ........... Dave, thanks for posting this, sometimes, words just aren't enough 8)

CC

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

th_confused0052 Thm: Thm: Thm:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow::bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Them thar's engines (pumps, etc.) within the engine, (I can barely build a single cylinder steam engine ;D) condenser, oil tanks etc. etc. etc. and that really runs ?? OMG !! That'd be uber-cool to see that running on steam !! WOW !!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: You can stare at the model for HOURS and not see everything !

Now needs to add in model boilers.

I'm going back to my little corner and start wimpering ....... :-[

Mike

ChooChooMike said:
I'm going back to my little corner and start wimpering ....... :-[

Hey Mike ............ your not alone 8)

CC

Thanks for sharing/showing that Dave,

It has to be up there amongst the worlds greatest model engineering projects. :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I'd think I was Xmas if I'd managed to build the air pump.

Have you found out why it's now in a museum. ???

Best Regards
Bob

CC

Horsewipped and gobsmacked is about as close a description I can give for my reaction the first time I saw the photo's...

Bob,

No I don't know why it's there....I fear the worst as Karl was not a young man when we spoke last. I am having another check up on the situation....I'll let you know.

I don't believe he ever ran them on steam as the clean up would be nightmarish, but I do believe he ran them on air.

Dave

It's magnificent! Hard to believe one person could build it. Hard to believe it could be done in one lifetime! How would you decide which part to build first?

What a masterpiece.

Probably start at the bottom and work your way up........same way you eat an elephant I suspect....one bite at a time.

thanks for sharing steamer, it's one of the most beautiful works I had ever seen... beautiful? there aren't words to describe it!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I hope that Karl was still alive, anyway he has made things for which he will be remembered forever

Thanks Ariz......on behalf of Karl

Theres an old saying..."When a man passes, the library closes"

Let's hope for the best....There is obviously a lot to be learned!

Dave

Wow is an understatement. I finally took a couple minutes to look at that video that main engine of the titanic is totally amazing. But if you look around the edges there are about ten more mostly Stuart engine models representing the ancillary equipment to support the engine and other ships systems. looks like turbocharges pumps generators etc. That is an engine collection in that case not just an engine.
Tin

Latest posts

Back