My first lathe tool set

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kermit

I had more problems with choosing a set of tools for my lathe than I've ever had deciding anything! There are SO many choices. I stuck with MSC to limit my choices(a little) and finally decided on insert holding tools instead of solid ground HSS. Got enough going on with this new hobby without adding possible flubs from greenhorn grinding jobs on my tools. I wouldn't know where my problems were. The way I was using my tool to cut or the way I had ground the angles. Too many variables!

Enough talk!

Lathetools_1_01.jpg

Lathetools_1_02.jpg

I think 1/2 inch shanks were the proper size judging with the eyeball. Anyone else see something wrong with the height that I don't see?

Lathetools_1_05.jpg

The final thing that amazed me was the wood they sent as a tool holder. Cheap tool holder for an American company but look at the number and tightness of those growth rings! I haven't seen anything like that in a long time. Old growth forest for sure. Not a fast growing hybrid like you see in the lumber stores these days.

Lathetools_1_03.jpg

Always shouting it to the world,
Kermit
(I'm easily entertained ;D

Kermit,

Unless the tool is shown relative to a centre in the headstock or tailstock then its difficult to say if it's correct, over or under.

If it's over - machine a bit off the bottom of the holder.

If its under - shim up to centre height.

Hope this helps ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Nice set of tools!

Checking the perfect center is easy.
Chuck up a piece of stock and take a light cut across the face.
If it leaves a high spot at center the tools needs to be milled or shimmed.

Or NOT...

O.D. turning tools cut better slightly above center while I.D. tools
cut best slightly below center.

Now the amount of the offset is very much dependent on the material
being worked.

In other words, there is NO perfect answer.
You work with what you have and listen to the clues the material is
giving you.

Rick

Oh goodness, by eyeball I mean I picked the right shank - 1/2 inch. A 3/8 or 5/8 would have been way off center - to these old eyeballs.

Shimming up the shank of the tool to bring it up to center I understand in concept. When you say "take a bit off the bottom of the holder" do you mean the piece with the hold down bolts around the top?

How do I take a bit off without a mill? Asking for a favor at work I suppose could be done.

Should have the lathe setup on its new bench and ready for me to fumble around and puzzle over by the end of the weekend. Maybe. The youngest is having his twelve birthday party this weekend and has some friends invited for a sleep over. :eek:

Hope the wife can keep 'em corralled while I "play" :D

The biggest kid in the house,
Kermit

Kermit said:
Shimming up the shank of the tool to bring it up to center I understand in concept. When you say "take a bit off the bottom of the holder" do you mean the piece with the hold down bolts around the top?

Kermit, when I said holder, I meant the part you are calling the shank.

My terminology:

Part on the lathe with tool clamping bolts - Tool Post

Part in the tool post which holds the tool - Tool Holder

Part on the end of the tool holder which does the cutting - Tool Bit or Tool Insert when using replaceable carbide tips.

To machine the bottom of the tool holder, (if required), hold in 4 jaw chuck as shown below:

CoC.jpg

No Mill required.

Hope this helps. ???

Best Regards
Bob

EDIT - The best book IMHO for someone starting out is "The Amateurs Lathe" by LH Sparey. ISBN 0-85242-288-1

Kermit nice set of tools and made in USA
I personally like my Warner sets I deal with the manufacturer directly and his sets come with an insert for each tool and a spare . They are in a plastic box with form fit foam.
Tin

Kermit,
That looks like a really nice set.

At some point in the near future you might want to consider replacing that four-way with a quick-change tool post. It'll add much great flexibility to your tool holding. There's nothing wrong with the four-way, the quick-change just adds a great deal of convenience.

In the mean time, as long as you are using the four-way, you might want to clamp up a short piece of square stock opposite your tool. It'll stiffen up the tool post a little bit when you lock down your tool holder. I haven't found the four-way to be much good for holding more than one tool anyway. It seems the unused tools eventually interfere with something; headstock, tailstock or worse, my hands.

I second the motion on the QCTP much easier to set tool height.

I like useing a 6" rule to set tool height for turning just pinch the tool between the bit and work and set tool height so rule is vertical.

Remember when possible to set up tools so any deflection pulls the tool away from the work rather than digging in.
Tin

I agree about the QCTP just have a problem with prices on the QCTP. No biggie, just something I have to "plan" for!

As for chucking up anything right now, I think the closeup pics above have you fooled. Here is my Lathe right now.

Lathetools_1_06.jpg

Next week peeps, next week.
Kermit

1 vote quick change tool post

1 vote The Amateurs Lathe book

QCTP ..LMS sold me mine for my mini lathe and got a locally sold set for the 20" ( hence now buying tools in the US)

love em, both are adjustable height versions so to centre is a few twists at most

Bob,....... love the CAD

cheers

jack

Kermit,
You don't necessarily have to BUY a QCTP. You can make one ;D

Gives a chance to work with machine, as well. It's be a little harder with just a lathe but it can be done.

I have thought of the getting a rotating/indexing rig to give me some small amount of horizontal milling capacity on the lathe, but I'm afraid of damaging the bearings in the head with any kind of REAL milling on my new little lathe tool.

I suppose anything can be done given the time and motivation but I have the mill planned for about 1 or two years in the future anyway. :D and since time seems to just fly by in eyeblink at my age....... :-\

I'm just so damn eager to get there that I've been deliberately holding myself in check to prevent the overzealous, wreckless, fullspeed ahead atitude that has created nothing but burst ballons of most of my dreams. Determination and planning have a place, but the place is boring, boring, boring if you don't have other things to do. I've got LOTS of other things to do. ;D Too many things to do. :-\ How'm I ever gonna get all that done. :'(

Opps, I did it again
Kermit ;)

that lathe looks a lot like my lathe. i got qctp and i like them. i also made my own but have to shave some metal off so it works better( a little to thick)

Nice set of tools Kermit. As I recall you own the 9x30 Lathemaster? If so I think with use you'll migrate to the smaller sized toolbits like 3/8" and 1/4". Those sizes give you a little more wiggle room for working in tight areas, especially when working between centers. But for now, you've got chips to make ;)

Cheers,
Phil

Kermit,

QCTP all the way! You will never regret it and quickly forget the money spent on it. You and I have the same lathe and you’ll have to make an adapter for the Phase II or ‘knock off’ quick change.

Bob Warfiled has an excellent page on doing just that. Takes about an hour, easy to do, works great and you don’t have to modify anything on your lathe. The link is: http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheQCTP.htm

---TinkerJohn---

ksouers said:
I haven't found the four-way to be much good for holding more than one tool anyway. It seems the unused tools eventually interfere with something; headstock, tailstock or worse, my hands.

Both my lathes have 4 tool turrets. On the Myford, I made 2 a la GHT - one for steel turning tools, the other for non-ferrous turning tools. Admittedly, I can only get 3 tools in the turrets if I use a facing tool, but don't remember having a problem with interference. I keep any spare tools that I am likely to use with the correct shims, so I don't lose too much time if I have to change tools.

Dave Lammas in ME 1990s described a 3-tool turret to overcome the interference thing (for those that experienced it).

I am not saying the 4 tool turret is better, it is just that I have them fitted and I consider it would be too expensive to buy 2 toolposts and all the required holders. Yes, I could make them, but workshop time is limited and precious.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Just buy Lathemasters QCTP, it's an AXA style one. It is made for the 8x14, I think the 9x30 has same exact issue as the 8x14?

Enco has the piston and the wedge type "Phase II" QCTP on sale at a pretty good price right now. Lathemasters Tool is unknown to me, I mean as to who makes it. I DO trust him however NOT to sell bunk. Does anyone have a story about the PHASE II brand QCTP?

And what is the issue you speak of Bill? Something about the post it mounts on not fitting the cross-slide member? Or has to be modified? I don't remember(happens a lot lately) :p

just a drop in the bucket for the things I need to understand,
Kermit

It is a direct fit for the Lathemaster. I have a Phase II AXA on my southbend, the wedge type. Lathemasters is also a wedge, and it is IDENTICAL to the phase II. If you ask me, it is made in the same factory.
The issue is the height of the cross slide, many tools cannot sit low enough to hit the center line, so they removed some metal from the bottom of the tool holders. The 9x30 may not have that problem.
Just ask Bob about it.

Okay then, I knew I remembered their was "a problem" but that's about all the old memory could tell me... :p

Now I just have to decide what else I need in the way of tooling.

I have a little list.

Boring bar set (not import)

Cut off tool(s)

1/4" and 3/4" straight flute reamers
(for starters, I've already got plans for those two)

I'm sure I'm missing something I'll need in the first day or two. :-\

Don't know enough to know what questions to ask at this point. I need to get my hands dirty first I think.

Micrometers - Depth, and taper type I'd need to find a good sale first.

Kermit

Latest posts

Back