my first ever post

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlunns

Reaction score
Hullo all, I've been a member about 2 months now, been lurking---let me introduce myself . My intrest is model aircraft motors, I have a Chinese lathe and a mill/drill ...and live in a little village on the South Coast of Australia Retired field engineer for a large U.S.A buisness equipment co....getting to old to fly--so trying to make motors [ and to work out this computer]:hDe:

Oldlunns, welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for building small aircraft engines. Lots of plans and friends to help you along the way. We can even help with computer skills. Where abouts in Oz are you. Lots of us on this site.

Welcome IIRC there are plans for a small aero engine in the downloads section. We do recommend a wobbler or two to teach/hone skills before jumping into an IC engine. we are here to help and encourage.
Tin

hi tin falcon and herbiev. thank you for your welcome. yes herbiev i see there a lot of aussies on the site. i live onthe coast just north of ulladulla about 37 km,a holiday village of about 1000 people only 1 general store----so no metal ,or tooling etc. as to the motors ihave made a few,mills 1.3,bollaero,,humbug,super single [5] {schroeder} and am slowley making a vega twin [parker] and a kinner [johnson] on a recent trip to melbourne i was lucky to get some 12l14. so when the holiday season is over i hope to start building again....

Oldlunns,

Welcome aboard.

I had a delightful time in Australia from November 1986 - August 1987. Ostensibly I was there for the America's Cup races in Perth but ended up traveling throughout much of the country after that was done. I've been a model airplane guy since the summer of 1978 and had a wonderful stay in Balgownie with the McFarlane family (accomplished pattern fliers) while I was down there and did a bit of flying with them as well. I've a bit of skill polishing to go, but am also dreaming of the Johnson Kinner. It probably doesn't hurt that Dave is a good personal friend from the RC industry and has been pestering me to build an IC engine.

Thayer

Welcome aboard oldlunns. If you are looking for steel, a quick trip to The Steel Store at Kembla Grange is a good place to start.

Jim

Hi oldlunns
Welcome indeed
We are slowly building a strong showing on this site :)
Pete

Hello Oldlunns and a warm welcome to the forum..never too old for this! :)
Stew.

Welcome from the UK Oldlunns

As a fellow model aircraft engine (making) enthusiast it's good to see you here. What have you been up to so far - are those 'lower ends' in your avatar your work? Look forward to seeing some pics when you are able.

Regards - Ramon

Boy what a site..lots of info' and a very friendly lot.
Thayer david Johnson did a good write up in strictly I C.....start making something [ if you have not already]---great fun to see and hear them run . Aussie jim i found a good place for metal in Melbourne when down there in december{ABC Specialty metals}. Thanks for the welcome Lennardhme--Mark from tennant creek {hot there today} and to Scruffy from Melbourne . Cogsy 50 years since i was in Perth ,it used to close at 5 pm in those days,i'd also like to be a perfectionist ---but i'm self taught.... Metal mad yes the aussiesare putting up a good show on this site.Compspecial Stew .i sold my comp special back in the 60's wish i still had it .
Ramon are you 'the' good looking one with the white beard[x nova page].In my avatar the lower motor is aSabre from Gordon Burford {1950's} the others are 'simple singles' by Roger Schroeder [Strictly I C] .Started off to make one and made a few more in case of mistakes ,left them for about 2 years before trying to run them........they all started within three flicks [BIG GRIN] they use the cox piston and cylinder a good motor to start on.

Den [short for Dennis]

Hi Den,

I've got a couple simple steam/air engines behind me and recently started on a stationary mill engine, Elmer Verburg's #33. I attacked the cylinder and steam chest first to see how I could manage some complex/precise bits. So far so good, so I am now starting to think about the base, crosshead and guides.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1187.0.html

Thayer

Latest posts

Back