My first engine - Elmer's Standby

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMI

Reaction score
Here is my first try. Generally pleased with it but would do a few things differently if starting over. Guess that is called learning.

standby_1.jpg

Will try to link a movie of it running:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x94/JMI_photo/?action=view&current=standby_2-1.flv

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x94/JMI_photo/?action=view&current=standby_1-1.flv

Thanks

Jim

Well thats a beauty Jim - it certainly puts my first effort to shame ! Its a fantastic feeling when those carefully crafted pieces of metal come to life for the first time. You are quite right, learning is what its all about. In fact its a continuous and I guess, a never ending journey.

John S

Very nice job! Thanks for posting it.

JMI said:
... would do a few things differently if starting over

Care to tell us about one? Then maybe we could learn too.

Thanks,
SmoggyT

Jim: Good looking and operating engine! The videos are great (I need to learn how to do that), but does it really take all that machinery to run the little engine? :)
Thanks for showing us, the shop tooling looks like fun to play with also.
don

Way to go Jim !! When my 1st engine worked the 1st time, it was a big rush and super cool for me !!!

AND yes, it's a life-long learning process !!

Mike

WOW
Jim that's one heck of a shed. I'm really impressed by the big white engines you made and all on a colchester lathe and a jet miller :big: :big:
That's a lovely Elmer's, sweet runner too, Very well done. :bow:

Kind regards

Malcolm

Nice engine Jim!

I don't even know how many engines I've built.
But in the process of every build I found things that I would have done
differently. I started to keep a log book of those things.
I never referr to that book, but for some reason writing it down makes
it easier to remember....

OK so I'm getting OLD! LOL

Rick

Real good Jim.Makes me want to try just a little harder.
Wicked sense of humour in that first video "standby 1.1
Paul

Jim,

Please answer me one question.

How do you level up your machines aboard ship? Do you level the ship first, then level the machinery?

I assume you are on board some sort of metal cork.

Nice engine and vid by the way.

John.

Hello,
I'd like to thank everyone for their nice words and encouragement. They make me feel very much at home.

SmoggyTurnip said:
Care to tell us about one? Then maybe we could learn too.

In regards to doing something different I would use the method for making the flywheel that I'm currently using for Elmer's Beam engine http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=228.0 courtesy of Bogstander. There is a slight wobble in the "Standby" one that I hope to eliminate in the "Beam" flywheel.
I am also going to use the flywheel program provided by 'mklotz' to get the spokes laid out and cut.

Bogstandard said:
How do you level up your machines aboard ship? Do you level the ship first, then level the machinery?

I assume you are on board some sort of metal cork.

That is an engineroom of a large ferry boat in the video. As for "leveling" the machine tools as well other equipment that is mostly done when the ship is being built in the shipyard and the goal I believe is more that equipment is "square/plumb" to it's foundation.

Thanks again for all the replies and I will post the progress the Beam Engine.

Jim

Latest posts

Back