Must be in the doldrums---

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Rupnow

Design Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Maybe its just the fall, which is always a somewhat "iffy" time for me, but I can't seem to find much motivation for machining or building anything right now. I am reasonably busy with my day job, (and right now its on a kind of day to day basis---this economic scmozzle thats going on is holding back new machine development.) I walk into my little machine shop once or twice a day, look around, then walk out again. I lay awake at night (fall is insomnia time for me) and try to think up "what will I build next", and I don't get any answers. Two weeks ago I reworked my bandsaw to cut mild steel. Last weekend I polished the beam engine and finally finished all the "fiddly bits'---pivot shafts, acorn nuts, etcetera. Now I guess that I will have to wait untill some great notion takes hold of me to create something. As soon as one of my customers cleans up a couple of invoices I think I will purchase a boring head for my mill----Maybe that will spur some creativity.

You can't force it Brian.

Do that and it becomes a job.
We all HAVE jobs, dead lines, production schedules and dreaded "OR ELSE"
to deal with daily.

Take a break.
When the metal is ready to be turned and milled, it will call on you for help. ;)

Rick

Brian relax take a breather. I can't explain it . I have some engines that were done in a week start to finish others years. This is a hobby and needs to stay fun.
When the metal is ready to be turned and milled, it will call on you for help
Reminds me of the old joke how many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb?
The answer is One. But only if the light bulb wants to be changed.
I guess it only take one machinist to turn raw bar stock into a running engine but only if the metal "Wants to changed" ???
Tin

Fall sets off an annual bout of seasonal "blues" here too. I try to stay at it until the cold finally runs me out of the shop. I'm figuring about 4 -6 more weeks before the thin fluids in the thermometer and the thinned fluids in my veins cross paths on the work flow chart.

If I can't turn metal, then I'll burn a few million digits to get ready for when I'll emerge from hibernation again in the spring with a whole raft of new 3d proven ideas to get me going. I've got lots of metal asking for help in "becoming", which will mean another long winter of small pleading metallic voices ringing in my ear.

Brian... as everyone suggests, forcing it just makes it a drudgery. You'll definitely know when the muse is upon you and is ready to play. Just make sure that worry over the present economics isn't getting to you. Depression can sneak up on one in times like these and it is a damned miserable thing to fight.

Steve

Depression can sneak up on one in times like these and it is a damned miserable thing to fight. Yes, I've danced that dance, and didn't enjoy it at all!!!

i for one am dancing that dance right now...............on a day to day basis.............for the last 14 1/2 years we have been swamped with more work than we could handle .............now we have almost nothing to do :mad:

and it really sucks wondering if today will be your last day of work .

chuck

Wars that never end,

Religious nut jobs trying to destroy the world,

World economy collapsing and our pensions just went up in smoke.

If you weren't depressed that would be the time to worry. Personally I like winter, no yard work to do and more time in the shop provided that I can get up the energy to walk the 30' through the snow.

Remember "Life is a journey, enjoy it while you can, 'cause the destination sucks"

BE HAPPY, DON'T WORRY!!!!

This stuff will all work out. Tough times ahead? Probably, but everyone is feeling it. Go on with life and do your deal. The economy will make the turn, it always does.

This is an election year, and currently that is compunded with the crazyness in the markets and all of the bail outs and failures that are occuring. People are holding their money, cashing out of their investments, and are playing the waiting game to see what is happening when the smoke clears.

Hang tight and hopefully things will improve real soon! One can worry about this stuff, but in the end what have your really gained?

Latest posts

Back