Mount for project under construction

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
Over the past few years, I have built a number of wooden clocks. In many respects they are similar to engines; somewhat complex, multi-dimensional, a bit fiddly to access some parts at certain times. I started out by hanging a piece of plywood from the ceiling in my shop and using that as a platform to work on my projects. But there was always a need to gain access to the back or turn the frame on its side or back and that meant a lot of messing about. As a result, I took some time out to build a mount for the clock that could be screwed to my bench, the wall, or the ceiling. It will pivot in every possible position and can be locked in place securely. I designed the mount so that every part could be interchangeable and redesigned to suit a specific project if necessary; usually that meant just making a part larger, smaller, longer, or shorter. I am finishing up a Jan Ridders engine and am at that really fiddly stage and thought about making a new, smaller version for engine projects. Something with an open back so access to mounting screws on the bottom of the base could be had perhaps. Maybe use some 2" x 2" 8020 extrusions.

Here are a couple of pics of the mount and a link to a folder with a few more :

Index of /webphotos/Clock Bench Mount

DJMorrow ClockMount (232).JPG

DJMorrow ClockMount (234).JPG

DJMorrow ClockMount (237).JPG

IMG_7535 (Large).JPG

David, your clocks are a piece of art, are they built from plans or do you just work it all out as you go. The reason I ask is that I would love to try at something like that. Is it possible to cut the gears manually or do they have to done using a computer? Also, what is generally used as the power, weights? Sorry for the silly questions but clocks have always had a bit of an attraction for me. By the way, love your stand. Cheers, Peter

No such thing as a silly question.

The top picture is from a plan from Brian Law in the UK; he seems to be the most prolific designer and provider of plans.
Brian Law Clocks

The bottom one is from Clayton Boyer in Hawaii. His tend to be far more varied. Clayton also has some kinetic sculpture and fun projects with gears.
Clayton Boyer Clocks

Both provide their plans in PDF so you can print them and presumably use a spray adhesive to mount to your material for cutting. I get the plans in DXF for CNC cutting. But I can never need well enough alone. If you looked at the Brian Law clock above and then at his plan, you would not recognize the frame. When I first cut that, my router wasn't big enough in the Y axis for his frame so I massaged it a bit. I also do a lot of changes with other things like pendulums and gear spokes and hubs.

Yes, they are driven by weights although Clayton Boyer has some driven by marbles or ball bearings. The bottom one here does that and then reloads them with a small battery powered motor IIRC. There may be one or two that use springs but I don't recall.

Both of these guys have self published books to help you understand clock design in the event that you want to try your hand at it; both available in print or PDF.

Latest posts

Back