Monster 4th Axis

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is a (much) larger 4th Axis I've started putting together. I already had the parts on hand so thought I'd see what I could do. The stepper is a NEMA 34, 1600 Oz In rated at 3.5 amps. It won't go very fast, but it does have some fearsome torque!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YeG42yBHwo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YeG42yBHwo[/ame]

The spindle assembly comes from a dividing head I had made a number of years ago. I replaced the 40 tooth worm gear on the back with a 44 tooth timing pulley which is keyed and setscrewed to the shaft. The spindle itself came from an Atlas 6" lathe and has a 1 inch x 10 TPI thread. It runs in Timken tapered roller bearings on both ends. The chuck is a 4", 3 jaw which I've added a ring with set screws to so I can adjust the run-out to near zero.

The motor is hooked up to a Gecko G540 controller powered by a 24v, 15 amp power supply. I'm thinking a 48v supply might be better so will be on the lookout for one of those. Next I'll figure out how to put this all together in a permanent assembly that I can use with my mill / drill.

Chuck

This huge stepper motor was another case of something I bought in the past because I thought it was neat and I would find a use for it later. In retrospect, a smaller stepper would serve as well. I had considered mounting a chuck or work-holding device directly to the stepper motor shaft but since it's only 9/16" diameter, it might not be strong enough for radial forces. Anybody got any thoughts on that?

The timing belt probably has some backlash, but I don't think it's enough to be a problem, especially if I keep the belt tight. With the setup shown in the video, the resolution is 4400 steps per revolution. The stepper is 200 steps per revolution, the Gecko Microsteps at 1/10 step and the ratio of the pulleys is 2.2 to 1. However, I didn't like the gear ratio, so I've changed the big timing pulley to 30 teeth which brings the resolution down to 3000 steps per revolution.

The big timing pulley I was using was 44 teeth.

IMG_3582_zpsd1d5ab29.jpg

I wanted to go down to 30 teeth, and since I had already bored the bigger pulley and made a keyway, I decided to just turn it down and make a smaller pulley.

IMG_3584_zps90b7bf21.jpg

I've made several XL timing pulleys. A number of years ago, I made a special cutter from a 3/32" slotting saw. I ground a bevel on the teeth edges to match the profile of the valley between the pulley teeth. I did not grind any clearance on the back of the teeth, but it still works fine for cutting aluminum.

IMG_3585_zpsa32b7ecd.jpg

Here I've turned the pulley down to the right diameter, which is about .020" smaller than the pitch diameter ????. Doesn't make sense to me, but that's what I calculated from the SDP website.

IMG_3586_zps96aada1a.jpg

Here I've got the pulley blank mounted in my smaller 4th axis.

IMG_3587_zpsde2fcf09.jpg
[/img]

And here is the finished pulley. This gives me a ratio of 1.5 : 1.

Chuck

Back