Modified mill vise ......

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolznthings

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
This is something that I have done to all my mill vises. I do not use keys in my vises and prefer to indicate them in. I have made a clean up cut on the base casting on both sides of the vise perpendicular to the rear fixed jaw.
When setting up on the mill a quick alignment from the table front edge with a square gets the vise within a couple of thousands. A quick check with the indicator gets me right on with little effort. Using one stud tighter than the other lets you pivot the vise for ease of indicating.
I also like this machined edge if I need to set up the vise at an angle. A protractor from the front edge of the table makes this easy.

Good tip which i will use on my replacement for my broken 80mm vice
With a table size of 460 x 120 i was happy with the size of the 80mm
When i buy a new one would the 100mm be advantageous or would it be too big.Anyone out there with the 100mm vice on the SC2 mini mill
Your comments would be welcome

Hi,
Can't relate to your mill, but I never like to " over vise " a mill. When's big enough ? Many people like a 6" Kurt vice on their Tormach mill which I feel is way over kill. I Use a 5" vise. Personal preference. Sounds like you are happy with the 80 mm vise. Have a picture of the 80 on the new mill ?

Brian

Hi toolz,photos show vice on the miil table under my thread
Bazmak diary of a sieg sx2 mill dated dated 9.16.2014
the 100mm vice is 20 mm wider and higher which would not be a problem
any comments from you and others would be appreciated before i
take the plunge.I was happy with the 80mm but it did break so do i replace like for like or go beafier with the 100mm.I use a 75mm drill vice for light milling
so would have advantages with the 100mm.I dont want to oversize and have
very little experience on the milling side of things.Regards barry

Back