MODELTEC Crab boiler

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamerskib

Reaction score
Good day

I am preparing a project based on MODELTEC Crab steam loco. It has a vertical boiler, but the drawings are not finished. I would like to have some opinion from more experienced builders than I am as far as the inside configuration is concerned.

The description is as follows:
The BOILER itself is a vertical fire-tube unit with a water jacketed Firebox. This is a very old and simple design. The Shell and Firebox are made from 8" x 6" Schedule 40 seamless pipe. The Shell is 12" high and the Firebox 4" high. The tube Sheets and Mud Ring are made from 3/8" SA-285 Grade C Steel. The door ring is 2-1/2" Schedule 80 seamless pipe and there are 24 3/4" x .065 wall seamless copper tubes expanded into the sheets. The two through pipes for the Exhaust are made of 1/8" seamless Schedule 40 pipe.

I would possibly like to improve the design, but for the sake of discussion could somebody make a hand sketch showing the disposition of different components (especially the Exhaust 1/8" pipes). I then may do the .dwg drawing and start the possibility of potential modifications.

I may scan the drawing going with the text (only external contour is shown however) and add it to the post.

Thanks in advance

B. Hamerski
Montreal, Canada

Back