Model machines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L.C. Mason - the traction engine builder of old , published a book about building a small lathe. It was from bar stock.
Again, K C Hart AKA Martin Cleeve published in Model Engineer a small lathe.

Moving on to Cleeve, he published many articles which used bar stock. They appeared in Model Engineer from about 1953 and finally he published Screwcutting in the Lathe. Other articles appeared in Engineering in Miniature etc.

Recently, I described a Stent tool and cutter grinder which was both fabricated and welded and is part of my workshop.
Again, Cleeve published his Swing Tool which was fabricated. I have one and am building- slowly, the newer version which ostensibly is a kit from Hemingwaykits but my 'first' version( I have two Myfords) is coming from a Meehanite marking out table that cost me £3.

Basically, it is all a matter of keeping a library of articles which might be useful.

If you really want to go MAD, you should read up GadgetBuilder.com. However it is safe to say that you can build like Hopper has.
Again, I had the Universal Staking Tool from welded bits. You could go for Double Top and build the Bonelle grinder

What you must remember is that you cannot expect to always get answers from the internet and you really should buy the appropriate books on the topic that takes your fancy

Best wishes

Norman

Thanks Norman for the information. My grandfather has a decent collection to Live Steam Magazine and is still a subscriber, unfortunately we don't have an index so we have to go through the whole pile when we are looking for a project. He also purchases the Home Shop Machinist and Projects in Metal magazine at the newsstand only where there is a project in them that interests him, so we do not have a complete run of those two magazines. I've picked up some of the reprints of the old Model Engineer and Amateur Electrician. I'm also attempting to build up a full set of The Modelmaker magazine, the one published in the U.S. and not the similarly named one from the UK. I'm also working on building up a set of The Model Craftsman magazine, only the issues before it went to 100% railroading. I've also copied plans from old Popular Science and Popular Mechanix and other like magazines. We also have other books on steam engines, etc. Just sometimes an idea for a build comes around and you just cannot seem to find a set of plans for it.

George

Latest posts

Back