Model engine stuff in San Antonio, TX

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philjoe5

Reaction score
I'll be at a family reunion in San Antonio, Texas next month. Can anyone recommend engine museums or the like that would be of interest to visit there? Thanks

Phil

The only thing I know about in San Antonio is The Alamo. The airbase has a nice collection of planes on display.

North of there at Ft Hood they have 2 armor museums. Some samples of Russian & Chinese equipment.

Have only lived in South Texas for 2 years and most of my forays up there have been to visit my son at Ft Hood, and to Lackland AFVB to visit my cousin's daughter on her graduation from Basic.

I didn't think much of the riverwalk in San Antonio, seemed to be mainly involved in sellling for and booze. There was a nice restaurant near (west) of the Alamo named Mexican Manhattan that had really good, authentic Mexican food.

I'm in Austin an hour or so up the road and don't know of much in San Antonio. There's a couple full-size steam locos around, one I think downtown somewhere on display (It seems like pretty much every Texas town has or had a steamer on display in a park somewhere)

There's also this place I just found out about while trying to find the link to the downtown steam loco: http://www.txtransportationmuseum.org/ I know nothing else about it.. let us know if you go.

Thanks guys - I'll post some pictures of what I can find that would be of interest here.

Cheers,
Phil

I spent five winters in SA as a snowbird and found it to be a terrible supply town. Things that are available in most small cities in North America can't be found in SA. Houston is the exact opposite and you can find anything there.

However, if you interested in history, SA has more than five hundred years of it, with the Alamo being the most promoted but of less interest to me than all the early missions and the history attached to each one.

If you want to spend an interesting few hours on a weekend, visit one of the Mexican Flea Markets where you can buy everything from live poultry to used spark plugs.

Phil:
I was there for a couple of days the end of August. I realty did not have much time or opportunity to seek out ME stuff. One of my favorite spots in SA is the grist mill at Mission San Jose. an undershot wheel that will turn with very little water. San Antonio seems to very much a military town . It thrives on the military there are several bases in the area Lackland ,Kelly, Medina,and Randolph AFB, fort Sam Houston etc, and tourism and military tourism. 50 weeks out of the year on Friday approximately 750 airmen graduate from basic training and many of the parents girlfriends, and other family and friends of the airmen drive or fly in for the graduation.

There is a local train transportation museum http://www.txtransportationmuseum.org/ have not been there.
Tin

Tin,
You're right about San Antonio being a major military, especially Air Force town. I have 3 brothers who are retired Air Force and I'm ex- army. So, guess what - reunions are often held in San Antonio. That suits me beacuase it's an interesting part of the world and for me, there's lots to do even outside of the model engine world. I'll try to check out the transportation museum and anything else that looks like it has flywheels, gears, or runs on steam ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Latest posts

Back