Model Clutch pulley by Joe Tochtrop

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_Imbrock

Reaction score
I am building the clutch-pulley designed by Joe Tochtrop to fit my Economy model engine. Has anybody else out there built one of these? I'm not sure I understand the principle used to make this thing function. Don't believe there is one like this in the real world, at least I haven't seen anything like this. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. BEN

Hi Ben,
Not familiar with this clutch. Could you post an explanation or something we could go by.
gbritnell

To George: Basically, this is a flat-belt pulley which fits on the Tochtrop "Economy" model engine. The way it works in real life is that the operator of the engine can engage and disengage the pulley, so that the engine does not have to be cranked under load; that is, while the driven machine is belted to the engine. Then, after the engine is started, the operator can push in on the ring-shaped "handle" on the outside of the pulley to make the positive engagement to drive the belt which operates the driven machine. The drawings supplied do not fully explain the functions of the various parts on the inside of the pulley to make the on-off operation possible. There is no exploded view to show the assembly, which would answer the questions and ensure assembly was proper. BEN

I'm interested in the drawings of this unit too. I'm in the process of one of Joe's Economy engine kits and a clutch would be a neat option. But I've not seen a clutch offered in his mailings nor has he mentioned one in the few times I've talked to him. Any extra info on this kit or plans would be great.

Hi Ben,
There were a lot of clutches on early equipment like what you are describing. They were a type of over-center mechanism with shoes that went against the inside of a circular rim. The circular handle was free to rotate so that the operator could grab it and engage or disengage the clutch. When it was moved to the engagement position the sliding collar would move links hooked to the shoes. These could be adjusted for wear and proper engagement. As the links would go over center they would lock the clutch in place. When ready to disengage all that was required was a pull on the handle and the shoes would come away from the friction surface.
gbritnell

To CMS: I ordered the plans for the clutch-pulley from Joe Tochtrop in July 2011 and as I remember, I paid something like $63.50 for the plans, castings and shipping. There are about 4 little iron castings in the kit , plus some miscellaneous little screws, etc. One thing I would warn you on is the ring-handle -- it is made from cast iron, and due to the thinness of the casting it is as hard as diamonds -- some guys, I understand have dumped the ring supplied and fabricated one out of aluminum or steel.

While I was at it, I also bought his kits for the reduction gear set-up and the corn grinder (that is based on a small coffee bean grinder that is available somewhere commercially). A very clever arrangement and will make an interesting display. Best to you CMS Thanks also to George for the comments.

Thanks for the info on the clutch. Been thinking about buying one of the waterpump castings, the clutch would make a nice addition to the setup. Think I'll give Joe a call and request more info before I jump.

I met Joe about 10yrs ago at an engine show here in Vallejo, Ca.

He had several old engines set up via clutches and belts driving various real-world loads. He also had some of his drawings on display and I was very impressed by the clarity and size of the drawings. I believe they were all hand drawn on a drafting table.

The clutch you're describing is what I remember seeing there. He had the clutch handle chromed I believe. I'll go back through my old pictures and see if I can find an example and post it here.

He's quite the guy and very humble.

Rich

Ok, Found a few pictures I took that day at the BAME 2002 Show.

I met Joe about 10yrs ago at an engine show here in Vallejo, Ca.

He had several old engines set up via clutches and belts driving various real-world loads. He also had some of his drawings on display and I was very impressed by the clarity and size of the drawings. I believe they were all hand drawn on a drafting table.

The clutch you're describing is what I remember seeing there. He had the clutch handle chromed I believe. I'll go back through my old pictures and see if I can find an example and post it here.

He's quite the guy and very humble.

Rich

I agree with Rich - a real gentleman.

I went to his house in San Francisco about 5 years ago. His workshop was at the back of his garage and was very simple and very cluttered. Once you managed to get round a big black Dodge Charger (I think it was) there was much other junk (sorry for swearing) to clamber over to get to his work area which was just a few square feet with no modern machine tools that I could see.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Back