Mill Vise.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mp409mm

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have this mill vise that I find very useful if I have to drill at an angle, it save me the troubleof angling the mill head.

But the problem with this vise is that the bottom whichshould be flat so that one can put parallels does stop short from the first jawby 8 or 10mm, [ photo ] which produce a concave channel.

Is this has a reason to be so? and any ideas how to overcomethe parallels problem?

Thank you for any advice.

Regards

Alfred.

Mill Vise copy.jpg

With the rear jaw removed could you machine it out square, and then fabricate and attach a fill-in piece before very carefully fettling in so it's true to the base? or use wider parallels :D

How about just a thicker front jaw pushing back past the groove. or thick parallels

Hi,
The vise is perfect from all angles, square, and parallel to the table and mill head, so I do not wish to try and modify it. Using wider parallels is a option, but if I have to drill through it is problem :( Thank for your feedback.
Alfred

How's it a problem to drill? I'm assuming it's a cast iron body? That should drill and tap quite nicely...

How's it a problem to drill? I'm assuming it's a cast iron body? That should drill and tap quite nicely...

When I said drill problem I was referring to wider parralles which will be in the way of the drill [sometimes mot always] when drilling through a part.
replacing the front [or back, I do not know what that side is called :D ] is an option to be considered. I am an amateur, modifying tools is scary for me.
Thank you
Alfred

Unbolt the fixed jaw from the vise.
Make a plate the thickness (or a bit more) of the "defect". Drill and counterbore the same as the fixed jaw.
Using longer bolts, reattach both jaws.

No modifications to the original vise, but now the rough part is behind the new jaw extension so parallels will sit properly. The only loss in capacity is the thickness of the additional, new jaw.

Thanks mate, good idea. if something goes wrong I can always put everything as it was. cheers
Alfred

Make a plate the thickness (or a bit more) of the "defect". Drill and counterbore the same as the fixed jaw.

No modifications to the original vise, but now the rough part is behind the new jaw extension so parallels will sit properly. The only loss in capacity is the thickness of the additional, new jaw.

Good idea Stan.

Probably What I would have done if I needed to - after thinking about it for a few days! :D

While you're at it you can make several soft jaw sets with milled steps so you don't need parallels. Also make some with V's milled on the face so you can hold round stock as well.
mill-vise-soft-jaws.jpeg

large.jpg

It's common practice to have clearance relief in corners like that. It would be nearly impossible to create a precise corner through milling or grinding. If you tried, then a block with sharp square edges wouldn't be able to sit square against the flats. You don't want to "fix" the relief. Use larger parallels or spacers.

Latest posts

Back