Mill Tramming Tool.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used a lapping plate and various grits of AlO2 wet/dry sandpaper to take milling marks out. As long as the surface is flat, it laps nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

Hi Rick,
Give me a chance :):):) I've only just got the mill properly trammed. I haven't gotten that far yet...

Hi Guys,
Had a chance to do some more work on the mill tramming tool. I had a number of 2" x 3" x 9" pine offcuts kicking around, so I decided to plane and sand the wide sides of them flat then glue them all together to make a large block. See photos. They have been drying for several days now so the block was ready to be planed and sanded. I used the tramming tool as a template and simply drew around it with a pencil. After doing that I then used a spade drill to remove as much wood as I could. I used a large 35mm spade bit to open out the holes where the gauges will eventually go and then a washer cutter to get near to final size. The cutout is about 40mm deep. All the other bits of wood were cut away with a sharp chisel. Its still very rough yet, so there is a lot to do.

Wood_Block-01.jpg

Wood_Block-02.jpg

Pattern-01.jpg

Wood_Block-03.jpg

The wood block carving out is now finished. I have ordered a pair of replacement dial gauges so that I will have two that are the same. When I get them I will continue with fitting out and making the rest of the storage box.

Wood_Block-04.jpg

Back