mill tooling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bronson

Reaction score
Might have a chance to get a bridgeport milling machine with an r8 spindle. Was wondering do you guys use r8 collets or go with er collets. I also run a 9 southbend and need collets for it i was wondering if er collets would work better and i could make an adapter and use er collets on both machines. i do realize i can not put work right through the er collets like i can with the 3c on the lathe. If er collets are the way to go 24 32 40 what type and whats the difference size?

Doesn't the draw bar for the collet holder stop the through option

You are going to want to use R-8 collets for your R-8 mill spindle to maximize rigidity and table clearance.

Thanks for the quick replies. R8 i am sure will be more ridge since it is right in the spindle, the table clearance isn't an issue i work from a taig mill now. Just hoping to get away with one set of collets but we all know that would be to easy and cheaper.lol Thanks for some of the pros and cons i will have to make a decision.

What type of er holder do you have? I was posting well you where.

Thanks for the link i was thinking milling holder in the lathe for some reason thanks for clearing that up.

You're welcome, I was thinking the same thing until I actually saw a picture of the one I eventually bought. Very useful system.

If I'm not too late, let me throw out another strong R8 collet recommendation. The vast majority of spindle tooling can be covered with 4 collets, and since we are mounting cutters, not raw stock, shank sizes tend to be very consistent, and the collapse range of ER collets is not really needed.

The speed of tooling change of R8 vs. ER makes the R8 the definite choice, as well as accuracy and rigidity.

I have decided to hold off on a bigger mill for now and get my lathe a little better tooled. Thanks for all the tips on the tooling and when i do get one i will make sure to choose the r8 tooling thanks again.

Bronson

Latest posts

Back