Midlands model exhibition

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a short personal view of the Midlands Model Engineering Show 2023. I will start with the positives then negatives followed by comments.

As expected, the show had many trade stands mostly selling small items and materials. None of the machine suppliers were in attendance apart from Myford who were showing one of their new machines. When I say new it was a Super 7B with DRO on all axis including the tail stock (never seen that before!) and a speed control inverter. At first glance I thought it was identical to my 40 year old S7 and in conversation with one of the Myford guys it transpires that the machine is newly made using the original patterns and imperial cap heads as specified in the original manual. The only difference I could see was that the top slide had machined/ground sides which makes clocking very easy when setting angles. I did notice that the bed didn’t seem to be ground as I could see the machining marks from the milling cutter. I also found out that for £500 Myford will “grind” your bed and saddle. The S7 cost around £9k.

There were not many small engine models on display, plenty of boats and several large scale traction engines. My eye very quickly beamed onto a beautiful example of the Allchin Royal Chester which had gained a very well deserved first prize.

RGTools had a massive presence occupying 10 display modules. Myford had 2. Stuart Models had an excellent display of all their models but I didn’t see anyone purchase the many kit boxes stack behind the display.

For me the outstanding event was a lecture on powder coating using the Tribology effect thereby not needing any electronics. The idea was simple using materials costing around £50. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to describe how to make a tribo gun with drawings.

SMEE had, as usual, an excellent stand showing members models. My eye caught a very well made example of the Quorn. SMEE also were demonstrating machining techniques on their Myford and showing off some of George Thomas’s brilliant accessories. As usual the stand was well staffed and very friendly.

Negatives

My first impression on entering the show was the lighting. It was quite dark with very inefficient high level skylights. This made it difficult to look at the models. Most stands had additional lighting but not for the models.

The lecture I attended suffered very badly from external noise due to its location and the sound system was inadequate. The lighting level was high making the projected slides difficult to read.

Comments

I do wonder about the future of these shows. There were tables near the coffee shop and I was able to observe many of the stands in operation as I drank. It was noticeable that there seemed to be little sales activity. Also many of the traders were selling low value items. Considering the cost of the stand and a minimum of 2 staff plus transport and hotels it is difficult to see how their attendance could be justified. I note that Hemmingway decided several years ago to sell on-line only and not attend shows. I haven’t seen Warco at the London shows (pre Covid). RGTools had 2 stands dedicated to measuring kit. I saw no one purchasing.

It was also interesting to note the age profile of attendees. There were a few children (it was a Saturday so no school) but the overall impression was of an ageing attendance with an average age of, in my estimation, 70+.

I do hope these shows survive but they do need better management.
Mike

I saw a comic one time, and a man dressed in a suit and tie was going door to door taking a survey of what people were thinking.
The person he was interviewing was a hippy, with beard, long hair, and beads.
The hippy told the man "The times, they be a changin..............."

Last edited:
This is a short personal view of the Midlands Model Engineering Show 2023. I will start with the positives then negatives followed by comments.

As expected, the show had many trade stands mostly selling small items and materials. None of the machine suppliers were in attendance apart from Myford who were showing one of their new machines. When I say new it was a Super 7B with DRO on all axis including the tail stock (never seen that before!) and a speed control inverter. At first glance I thought it was identical to my 40 year old S7 and in conversation with one of the Myford guys it transpires that the machine is newly made using the original patterns and imperial cap heads as specified in the original manual. The only difference I could see was that the top slide had machined/ground sides which makes clocking very easy when setting angles. I did notice that the bed didn’t seem to be ground as I could see the machining marks from the milling cutter. I also found out that for £500 Myford will “grind” your bed and saddle. The S7 cost around £9k.

There were not many small engine models on display, plenty of boats and several large scale traction engines. My eye very quickly beamed onto a beautiful example of the Allchin Royal Chester which had gained a very well deserved first prize.

RGTools had a massive presence occupying 10 display modules. Myford had 2. Stuart Models had an excellent display of all their models but I didn’t see anyone purchase the many kit boxes stack behind the display.

For me the outstanding event was a lecture on powder coating using the Tribology effect thereby not needing any electronics. The idea was simple using materials costing around £50. If anyone is interested, I would be happy to describe how to make a tribo gun with drawings.

SMEE had, as usual, an excellent stand showing members models. My eye caught a very well made example of the Quorn. SMEE also were demonstrating machining techniques on their Myford and showing off some of George Thomas’s brilliant accessories. As usual the stand was well staffed and very friendly.

Negatives

My first impression on entering the show was the lighting. It was quite dark with very inefficient high level skylights. This made it difficult to look at the models. Most stands had additional lighting but not for the models.

The lecture I attended suffered very badly from external noise due to its location and the sound system was inadequate. The lighting level was high making the projected slides difficult to read.

Comments

I do wonder about the future of these shows. There were tables near the coffee shop and I was able to observe many of the stands in operation as I drank. It was noticeable that there seemed to be little sales activity. Also many of the traders were selling low value items. Considering the cost of the stand and a minimum of 2 staff plus transport and hotels it is difficult to see how their attendance could be justified. I note that Hemmingway decided several years ago to sell on-line only and not attend shows. I haven’t seen Warco at the London shows (pre Covid). RGTools had 2 stands dedicated to measuring kit. I saw no one purchasing.

It was also interesting to note the age profile of attendees. There were a few children (it was a Saturday so no school) but the overall impression was of an ageing attendance with an average age of, in my estimation, 70+.

I do hope these shows survive but they do need better management.
Mike
Hi Mike
I went last year and I found it very interesting. Unfortunately I couldn't afford a brand new Myford! The main drawback for me was the rail service. The trains out of Leamington Spa were full with standing room only and it took me over 5 hours to get back home near York. This year I saw that there was a talk on powder coating and I was very tempted to visit. Then I saw that the courtesy bus from the rail station to the event wasn't running this year, so I decided not to bother. If public transport to the event was better I guess more people would attend. Last year it appeared that most of the people drove there. If you could email me some details regarding powder coating I would really appreciate it. My email is [email protected]
Thanks
Andrew

Hi Andrew
I will prepare some notes on the Tribo setup. I didn't want to be too negative about the event in my write-up but the first thing I noticed was a complete lack of signs to the event including where to park. This wasn't helped by my satnav not recognising the post code. Fortunately I had another satnav in the car but guess what - the stand broke............
I'll email you over the next few days - we have grandchildren here at present and I am teaching my grandson to use the Myford and mill. Last time he was here he did screwcutting, sand blasting and machined the hex onto a nut he made. He is 12
Mike

Thanks for your write up Mike. These shows are too far for me these days.
Can you please add me to your list for powder coating. A source for relatively small quantities of powder would be useful in Europe or just the UK.
[email protected]
Cheers
Peter

Thanks for that Mike. I emailed you but it bounced. Apparently your server thinks I am Spam !

Hi Andrew
I will prepare some notes on the Tribo setup. I didn't want to be too negative about the event in my write-up but the first thing I noticed was a complete lack of signs to the event including where to park. This wasn't helped by my satnav not recognising the post code. Fortunately I had another satnav in the car but guess what - the stand broke............
I'll email you over the next few days - we have grandchildren here at present and I am teaching my grandson to use the Myford and mill. Last time he was here he did screwcutting, sand blasting and machined the hex onto a nut he made. He is 12
Mike
Thanks Mike. No rush.
Cheers
Andrew

Peter
I have emailed you. Your message had an unpaid invoice demand which is spam probably from a virus. You need to scan your system I think!
Mike

My daughter and I attended the show on the first day and enjoyed it. My Satnav did not recognise the postcode but I remembered the entrance from a previous visit. I enjoyed the models and chats with like minded people and took the opportunity to stock up with bits and bobs that are not easy to come by in my part of the world.
My health permitting I will be attending again next year.
Regards
B

Thanks for the review, Mike.
I also attended the show on Saturday.
I would agree with all the points you made, but I would also add that there is another aspect to theses events and that is simply the opportunity to chat with a multitude of like minded individuals.
I spent most of my time there in conversation with both stall staff and visitors. I learnt a lot and may even have passed on a thing or two.

Yes Peter I agree. However I do think it is incumbent on the organisers to provide good lighting. I note that the video taken by EnotsEngineering was mostly shot in the marquee where the lighting levels were high - it was a sunny day! I had great discussions with SMEE folk but chatting to traders is not why they are in attendance and thats my concern. Unless they are covering their costs they won't return and the cost equation for the show becomes problematical.
Mike

Andrew
I have sent you the notes/slides by email - please confirm you have received this since your post implies you haven't!
Thanks
Mike
Thanks Mike. I have received them and I've replied to your email.
Thanks again.
Andrew

Back