Micrometer Set with Interchangable Anvils

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMI

Reaction score
Are these a good compromise over a set of expensive individual mics?

Thanks

Jim

A hand full of cheap Micrometers would be better than an Interchangeable Anvil Micrometer. First of all the size of the interchangeable mic is very restrictive. The calibration is a pain in the butt! You can buy good measuring tools on eBay, be patient & the price is right! I have a dozen assorted Micrometers most of them came from eBay for less then 20 bucks (Brown & Sharpe - Starrett - Mits) I still always grab the first one I ever bought (0-1 B&S no ratchet thimble or lock) back in "72". I also bought a set 1" to 7" (NSK brand 35yrs ago- they work great!)

Mike:
I have never Used or owned a set with the interchangeable anvils.
I do see the advantage of less storage room and price.
I will say there are good deals on inexpensive imports out there. If you can get to a show and feel them before you buy you may be surprised how smooth they are I just purchased a cheap $35 electronic digital from harbor freight.The thimble turns smooth as silk . As far as good quality I have seen some good to excellent deals on starrrett out thereon the used market as well.
If you are just taking one measurement the interchangeable are fine but if you are doing a job that requires a 0-1,1-2,2-3 you may drive yourself crazy switching anvils.
A buddy of mine worked in a shop where the owner bough a brand new Mitutoyo mic w/interchangeable anvils. He set it up and ran a job. The whole job was out of spec because the anvil was in properly installed and not checked to a standard.
so check you tools do not assume.
Tin

Are these a good compromise over a set of expensive individual mics?

Need more info. What "these" are you referring to? And, what do you mean by "expensive individual mics"?

If you don't require a digital readout there are some very nice 1" Mitutoyo and Brown & Sharp micrometers available on Ebay that usually sell for under $20. Cheap tools will only produce cheap results. Quality lasts a lifetime.

I have at least a half dozen 1" mics in various drawers around the shop, all either B&S or Mitutoyo. Yet I still reach for the same two pair every time. (one used for "rough work" one for "fine" work) Both are accurate but the least pretty one gets to see rough duty.

I make my living measuring stuff. There is more involved in judging a micrometer than the feel of the thimble. Checking a micrometer for accuracy involves checking the anvils for flatness and paralellism while closed on an optical flat and taking measurements at various quarter turn increments (not every quarter turn!) throughout the range of the mic. You can be assured that a brand name mic has at least been through this process once. -Mike

What kind of work do you do and what range of micrometer measurement capacity does that work imply?

For my model making, I use a 1" mike mostly, a 2" occasionally, and a 3" very rarely. I have no mikes larger than 3" since anything larger than that almost never needs to be measured with such precision that a mike is required.

The point I'm making is that, while micrometer measuring capability up to 6 or 8 inches may be intellectually satisfying, it's really a waste of money unless you do work that requires great precision at those large dimensions.

My suggestion is that you buy a 1" and maybe a 2" and use them for a year or so. During that time, keep notes on how often you really need (as opposed to would like to have) a larger size. If, at the end of the year, that list is very long, buy the size or sizes you needed most.

Hi Jim,
I have some extra mics I would be willing to part with. They are all used, some more than the others, But all check to spec. with my standards. If interested PM me and I can give you the make, model size and price. None over $25.

Jack.

In the shop, individual mics are the answer. On a service truck, or when you fly with the minimum number of tools, the mics with interchangeable anvils save a lot of weight and space. In a home shop you will probably use a 1" mic for more than 90% of your work. If you plan on high precision go for a .0001" but I can't measure that close anyway so I use a Starrett .001" with a friction thimble. The friction thimble eliminates the need for such delicate feel when you measure.

A friend of mine had a older Craftsman 0 - 3" multi-anvil mic.
Taking a measurement under 1" with a 2" long anvil in the frame
was a little too awkward for my liking.

At work the shop owned mics are all Mitutoyo. My hobby budget doesn't allow
that at home. I bought an import 0-6" set of mics from CME Tools
for less than $80. They call them 'Mitutoyo Style Outside Micrometers'.
They are a very good inexpensive alternative. Carbide tipped anvils,
ratchet stop, thimble lock and .0001" graduations.

CME1to2.jpg

Normally the parts I machined at work were well over the 6" range so I don't
keep personal mics that small there,
At one point I was doing a lot of small parts as work and didn't care to take
chances on the shop owned mics not being available and took mine imports in.
Every mic has to be certified before it can be used in that shop.
My CME's passed all of the requirements that Holescreek mentions in his post
and were certified.

I have never used anything bigger than the 2-3 at home so if I had it to
do over I would have bought their 0-3" set. CME 0-3 Set

They are worth considering.

Rick

I don't think I would like having to deal with the large frame size all the time. My experience has been that I use my 0-1" mike about 97% of the time, my 1-2" mike maybe 2% of the time, and my 3" and 4" mikes the last 1% of the time...if that often.

Your work may dictate otherwise, of course, but if 'twere me I'd buy a really good Starrett 0-1" mike and get by with cheaper ones for the larger sizes, buying one only when I actually needed it.

Latest posts

Back