Micrometer won't turn on

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw on another forum that these don't actually turn off when you hit the
" off " button , they go into a standby mode and just the display goes blank .
I now take the battery out when not in use , a pain in the butt but the batteries last forever.
Bill

Best to use high quality cells.
Even SR44 can come in a variety of materials.
Alkaline are rubbish so silver oxide are the ones I use here.

Payner is correct. Any electronic device which "springs" into life when touched or turned is in a standby mode and uses current. Mics typically start to display when the thimble is turned and then auto shut-down. Some verniers do the same.
I think, however, that removing the battery is a complete pain. Usually the mic has to be re-calibrated so the better option is to use a good quality silver oxide cell and only remove if the device is not going to be used for an extended period of time.
Complete disclosure:- I have a 12inch height gauge which sees very little usage and I do remove the battery. I do the same for my little used 2inch mic.
There is an added advantage in removing the battery for long term storage. Cells, depending on their chemistry, can leak around the seal and cause corrosion but at a lower level than you can experience from an AXX series battery.

I'm not understanding this discussion! Order the battery code specified which defines the diameter and thickness. Try to get a well known make - they are mostly made in China so don't get hung up on that. If the mic doesn't operate then pay attention to the contacts which must be clean and bent in such a way as to make contact at the side and the bottom. I really can't see what else can be said!!!

OK, I will repost what I said in the previous page:

Problem solved. And thanks to everyone for their suggestions. So these Duracells were made in China. OK, let's go with another brand and bought some Energizers. Popped one in and it fired right up. Works just fine now.
Grasshopper

Bit like drawing teeth. What is/was the manufacturer recommended cell???????

Regards Ian.

Forget it, just read 2032 IS the recommended cell.

Last edited:
Learn how to read a manual micrometer, it's not that difficult.
Most required can be read quite accurately with a $40 unit.
For height guage I use an electronic vernier for simple convienience and remove the silver oxide cell at the end of the day.

Latest posts

Back