Micro Deburring??

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chitownmachine

Reaction score
Hello All!! Just thinkin the other day after drilling some small thru holes in a slot that is recessed on both sides. Well like we all know when you drill thru, you get a burr on exit side of the hole. Since these are .050" holes in a slot that is only .100" wide, how do you deburr the drilled holes? I've tried to use diamond cone shaped burrs, but left less than awesome finish. And a hand rotobur is way too big obviously. Has anyone had any experience with using an acid bath to dip the part into and magically it will eat all the burs away? I know its gonna attack the rest of the material too, but that Is something I can live with. I guess my real question here is what kind of acid would you use to do something like that....the material im using is steel of unknown orgin from the bin of lost souls at work. So if any one has any experience with that or something that would work, please let me know! :) Thanks again all!

If you could find a fine enough medium you could tumble them.
Regards,
Gerald.

How about one or a set of these.
1702.gif

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=1702
a lot of parts get one of these and ceramic pellets
image_11984.jpg

image_13103.jpg

Tin

Google "electrolytic deburring". Its basically plating in reverse, with the bonus that since electrons want to jump from a sharp surface, your burrs are the first thing to get eaten away.

Would you avoid the burrs in the first place if you filled the groove with a solid spacer block and drilled into it instead of the groove?

I'd just "twirl" by fingers a drill bit about .090 for the one in the slot.
...Lew...

Back