Micro counter bores? #1 #2 etc.?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chitownmachine

Reaction score
Where do you find the really small counter bores? Wanna drop the heads of some 0-80 cap screws. All I can seem to find as the smallest is .250". Any suggestions?

Drill your hole for the screw, then without moving position, go down with an endmill the diameter you require for the head, to the depth you want to counterbore.

You will find it works better than the bought counterbores as they usually have to have a larger screw clearance hole than normal. All mine are done that way.

Bogs

Awesome! Thats a great idea and I don't have to buy more stuff :D I'm gonna give that a whirl! Thanks a lot!

As happens so often, I don't know where you live. If it is North America, Cleveland Twist Drill has counterbores down to 0. They are in the MSC catalog and I expect other large tool houses have them.

As Bogs pointed out, the machine screw counterbores that I have to require a clearance hole a bit larger than the actual screw OD. I like them because it much quicker to do all the counter bores on the drill press at one go, instead of changing tools at each hole.

Back