Material costs

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will53727

Reaction score
Had a shock today when I wanted to source locally (Midlands UK) short piece EN1A round bar, which prompted a conversation which went along the lines of 'it's much cheaper in the USA!!!!!!!. So, can anyone there enlighten me? 3" x 2 1/4" dia. bright EN1A they wanted £6 (cash of course) :eek:, what would a representative cost be to an American in the US.
Curiously GW.

I found 1215 free machining steel at McMaster-Carr (not the cheapest place) for $66 a foot. 12L14 was $92 a foot.

12L14 == F1 steel in Spain.
3" round == 10,88 kg / ft
2.25"/foot = 2.04 kg
== 3 € cost of metal.

++ A cut charge may apply, 2-4€.
Or you can buy a drop, but wont find the right size.

Steel costs for F1 go from about 1.4€/ kg to 3.5€/kg (extra large specials).
Typically around 1.5 €/kg.

Just bought 150 kg more for my CNC mill frame upgrades.

400x10 mm flat dimensional (calibrado) sheet was 3.5€, for 2 x 520 mm long pieces.
200x20 mm was 1.4 €/kg.

I have been able to purchase small pieces from a local Machine shop. They keep the small left over pieces on the shelf they realize they have way more pieces than they will ever use and give me good prices on scraps. Frees them up some space and get me material.

Mike

Will, try a few of the breaker sites (scrap yards). End runs and shop mistakes abound. May not been the exact spec, but if it has to be that critical you must be getting paid to do the job, spend the money.

I have three scrap yards within an hour of my shop. Try to buy farm scrap pieces, be careful some of the metals used are as thuff as a life sentence.

Good Luck

Looks like it's as costly in the US as here, Spain seems to be the place at the costs that Hanermo3 indicates, bit to far to go before breakfast. Seems rip-off Britain is alive and well. Trying the offcut route at local machine shops but they must have cottoned on to the general cost of steel, they're as expensive as stockists. Tried elsewhere this morning and the prices have got worse. Going to try the scrap yards as suggested by Silvergoose. Thanks again Guys

You're lucky to have a source of materials (semi) locally. No engineering shops anywhere near here in SW Ireland, so if I want/need anything, it has to be sourced in England and the international postage rates are double the inland rate. So what I do is wait until I go to England and load up the car on my return.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Well SW Ireland doesn't have a big reputation for having a lot of engineering shops as far as I know so not surprised you have to adopt that strategy. Round here they were everywhere but far fewer now. Lots of the model engineering suppliers list metals at realistic prices but price double with carriage as they are miles away so want to find locally. Anyway an update. I remembered that the factory I used to work at, large presswork, many years ago, had become a mini industrial estate so went for a look see. Found a little company there and got talking to the guy who ran it (big machines in there) and he sorted a piece of steel out for me from his odds and ends bin at an affordable price. Good tip BB218

So, can anyone there enlighten me? 3" x 2 1/4" dia. bright EN1A they wanted £6 (cash of course) :eek:, what would a representative cost be to an American in the US.
Curiously GW.

Probably similar to the other USA quotes provided but looks like you are referencing 2.25" dia vs 3" referenced (big difference but purely related to different volume of metal). Here is 2.375" 12L14 at 49$U/ft, no additional cut charge. Not sure how this alloy compares to your EN1A but just going with the flow here.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=7607&step=4&showunits=inches&id=285&top_cat=197

Back