"Mary" beam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly came from the original Reeves with a few bits from Blackgates. I did start the minnie back in 1992 when the cost of a complete & tested boiler from Blackgates was £194.00 ::) and the cylinder & covers from Reeves was £14.49 - The good old days

Jason

It' been a very long time since I purchased the castings. When I bought them they were handled by Coles Power Models then out of Venice, California. If I could hazzard a guess as to what the castings cost I would say around $175 American. I went to the new site you posted the link to and the new castings, drawings, gears and nameplate are quite dear, much more so than I would spend.
gbritnell

Hi I have just bought a set of castings for "Mary" so yes they are still available. I just love the look of your engine which inspired me to build one, putting aside my petrol engines for a while. Can you think of any major problems with the drawings?
regards Bob

Hi Bob,
There's only one 'mistake' on the drawings. It's the position of the governor linkage pedestal, unless they've changed it. You'll have to calculate out where it should be. The other issue, but not a mistake, is how they go about dimensioning the linkage points for the parallel motion. They want you to make the links, assemble them then swing the connecting link against the pivot block on top of the column crown plate and scribe a line so you can drill the hole. It's kind of crude dimensioning when a little trig is all that's needed to machine it correctly in the first place. I'll see if I still have the work sheet with the drawings from when I first built it. If I do I'll give you the numbers.
gbritnell

If that are the only two issues it should ok and pretty straight forward, or though it would be great if you still have the dimensions. Still waiting for the post man.
Regards Bob

Latest posts

Back