Making injectors

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colin

Reaction score
Can any one tell me how to make injectors or send me drawings/ or articles on them. Thanks

Colin,

What sort of injectors do you mean. ???

Best Regards
Bob

Colin

If you asking about boiler feed injectors I've got some books on them, I'll look them out and post details. From what I understand they are quite a challenge to make and get working you need to make some accurate D bits, its something I want to have a go at some time.

Stew

Thanks chaps that was quick! I am making a traction engine for my disabled son and in an effort to keep the costs i thought I would make all the boiler fittings as these are fairly simple but if you buy them cost a fair bit. any information would be most welcome on horizontal boiler feed injectors of differant feed rates as I want one each for my two locos.

Colin

Hello Colin, that sounds like a very interesting project of building a traction engine. Keep in mind that many of these engines had manual feedwater pumps installed as well as the steam injectors, the later had a tendency if not properly maintained to not function properly and always at the wrong time. By having the manual pump as a backup the operator did not have to worry about not getting water into the pressure vessel due to a malfunction. Some even had a Wilikinson style of steam driven pump so as to enjoy not having to 'muscle' the water into service. I'd still incorporate a back up system into your design/project. Best of luck

BC1
Jim

The History of the Boiler Feed Injector

books

books

Kermit

Tee Publishing in the U.K. sells a book called "The Model Injector" by Ted Crawford. the book is from the Australian Model Engineering group. It is an excellent book.

... or Laurie Lawrence did a comprehensive series on building them in ME some years back - 10 or 12 issues tho'

I just ,a few days ago, ordered the book "The Model Injector" by Ted Crawford for $13.00(US) + $5.50 shipping & handing, I was told it's a good book on injectors. I ordered it new from Plough Book Sales in Australia. It will be in stock in two weeks and mailed out. The address for the site is [ http://www.ploughbooksales.com. ]. All the other sites wanted $27.99 or higher,plus S&H. Hope this info of some assistance-Good luck with your project and please -post some pictures. Take Care ~ Rich

Plough Books is pretty good - been dealing with 'em for years.

???

It seems to me that an injector might be more trouble to build and operate on a model scale than a water feed pump. Why would one use an injector over a pump driven from the main engine shaft in some way? Or perhaps a steam driven one with some kind of control to meter the water added to maintain levels? I can see it in a scale model but when building more for function what is better?

Alan

Latest posts

Back